Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whoa! Ludicrous+ added to my 2015 Model S P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
outside temp could explain if the battery heater wasn't working and you weren't able to heat through supercharging just before track time.

Also general age and degradation of the battery could explain.

Also junk in the trunk; having AC on, etc.

After all those I would look at power from Power tools or teslalog to see if the actual power changed.

I just want to confirm that I LOST power so it's not just the "max battery". The Ludicrous mode has been neutered in this update.

I took my P90DL to the 1/4 for Friday test and tune night this weekend with my buddy and his M3 sport.

My best slip (91% battery)
R/T ... 0.217
60' ... 1.853
330 ... 4.936
660 ... 7.514
MPH ... 96.28
1000 ... 9.699
1/4th E/T ... 11.67 (114.12 mph)

One of my slips before the 2019 update:

R/T ... 0.117
60' ... 1.590
330 ... 4.543
660 ... 7.081
MPH ... 96.28
1000 ... 9.244
1/4th E/T ... 11.17 (114.56mph)

Results were consistent with runs getting worse as battery drained over the night. I was running neck in neck with his model 3 sport; this is not cool that a car that cost TWICE as much with a very expensive ludi option runs the same now.

We lost a F-load of power guys, this is not good.

The ONLY potential issue here is that the temp at the time of the run was a cool 71 degrees outside compared to 89 in my best run from before. There is a SC station near my strip and my best runs were run after a 100% charge and 8 mile trip to the strip. I immediately register/inspect and run when I arrive. I'd like to think the batteries were heated fully.

outside temp could explain if the battery heater wasn't working and you weren't able to heat through supercharging just before track time.

Also general age and degradation of the battery could explain.

Also junk in the trunk; having AC on, etc.

After all those I would look at power from Power tools or teslalog to see if the actual power changed.

You think degradation of the batteries in less than 1 year could result in a .5 loss in a 1/4 mile? No way. I’ll try to explain this for all the dragracing novices our there... that type of loss is massive. I don’t need some silly app to tell me I lost power.

I mean this in the nicest way possible when I say that you’re dead wrong. If these cars truly degraded that fast with that type of power loss then they are junk and I don’t think that’s the case.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
You also mentioned AC and junk in the trunk. While I truly believe there are a lot of stupid people in this world I don’t think anyone is dumb enough to go all the way to a dragstrip and make sure not to check their trunk. If the AC is on even if you passed inspections would get called out instantly.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
You think degradation of the batteries in less than 1 year could result in a .5 loss in a 1/4 mile? No way. I’ll try to explain this for all the dragracing novices our there... that type of loss is massive. I don’t need some silly app to tell me I lost power.

I mean this in the nicest way possible when I say that you’re dead wrong. If these cars truly degraded that fast with that type of power loss then they are junk and I don’t think that’s the case.

I assumed that any P90DL was many years old. I didn't know that there were new P90DLs that were "less than a year old."

Times can also be affected by SOC, battery temp, car prep such as tire pressure, removing dead weight, turning off accessories, lowering suspension, engaging slip start, etc. Have you directly controlled for all those factors?

I tweaked all those factors to get the fastest time slip on drag times for a P85DL. How many time slips do you have on Drag Times?

Knowing the actual power reported by the apps would be informative data and scientific rather than emotional. For instance if the power was reported as the same then you can look at factors other than power.

One data point: using dragy my before update and after update times are consistent and I achieved a nearly identical 1/8 mile time with what was probably a colder, and defintely slightly lower SOC charge battery compared to a pre update time. I have no concerns about loss of power from the update based on my actual data and considering all variables that may affect the time.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I assumed that any P90DL was many years old. I didn't know that there were new P90DLs that were "less than a year old."

Times can also be affected by SOC, battery temp, car prep such as tire pressure, removing dead weight, turning off accessories, lowering suspension, engaging slip start, etc. Have you directly controlled for all those factors?

I tweaked all those factors to get the fastest time slip on drag times for a P85DL. How many time slips do you have on Drag Times?

Knowing the actual power reported by the apps would be informative data and scientific rather than emotional. For instance if the power was reported as the same then you can look at factors other than power.

One data point: using dragy my before update and after update times are consistent and I achieved a nearly identical 1/8 mile time with what was probably a colder, and defintely slightly lower SOC charge battery compared to a pre update time. I have no concerns about loss of power from the update based on my actual data and considering all variables that may affect the time.

Good luck.

The data listed was one of my typical runs from my 1/4 ran less than a year ago. If you read my post I’m comparing results post update to pre-update. The pre-update was less than a year ago, your response mentioned that it could be degradation hence why I fell you are off because that would mean I dropped over .5 in less than a year from “degradation”.

EV cars (esp) with launch mode are very consistent. I’ve have timeslips for over 85 runs and I wrote the battery charge on them at time of run. I always lose power over the course of the night but not a huge amount until I get to 85 or so.

I’ve never seen power as low as last night post update. Could not break 11.6 and that’s not what I paid $125k+ for. That’s model 3 territory.

Also, this p90dl was built less than 3 years ago. Not sure what your world is like but that’s not “many years ago”. Lol

• Informative
Reactions: Inside
The data listed was one of my typical runs from my 1/4 ran less than a year ago. If you read my post I’m comparing results post update to pre-update. The pre-update was less than a year ago, your response mentioned that it could be degradation hence why I fell you are off because that would mean I dropped over .5 in less than a year from “degradation”.

EV cars (esp) with launch mode are very consistent. I’ve have timeslips for over 85 runs and I wrote the battery charge on them at time of run. I always lose power over the course of the night but not a huge amount until I get to 85 or so.

I’ve never seen power as low as last night post update. Could not break 11.6 and that’s not what I paid $125k+ for. That’s model 3 territory.

Also, this p90dl was built less than 3 years ago. Not sure what your world is like but that’s not “many years ago”. Lol

Your strategy to get to the cause of your suffering, is, I'm guessing, unlikely to be successful. but good luck.

There are many users that have been measuring power using PowerTools etc who see a significant drop. It's also not limited to Ludicrous cars either. Straight P85D's are seeing a significant drop too.

You can see a lot of that in this thread:

Max Battery Power Missing - Firmware 2019.8.3
As I said in that thread, my fastest time, and one of the fastest times for a P85DL was without launch mode and the battery heater was off (battery was heated from supercharging, prior runs, and it was hot outside).

Your power was never affected at all by Launch Mode (in the P85Ds and I think P90Ds) which is just a gimmick.

Having a cold battery does diminish power. But there are three remedies for that, the battery heater is just one of them. THey will bring that back. I never used it because the battery got hot other ways.

As I said in that thread, my fastest time, and one of the fastest times for a P85DL was without launch mode and the battery heater was off (battery was heated from supercharging, prior runs, and it was hot outside).

Your power was never affected at all by Launch Mode (in the P85Ds and I think P90Ds) which is just a gimmick.

Having a cold battery does diminish power. But there are three remedies for that, the battery heater is just one of them. THey will bring that back. I never used it because the battery got hot other ways.

Have you considered the lack of those features might be the symptom and not the cause? I think there's more to what's going on here than simple features missing. There are far too many people experiencing loss in power to be inconsequential - regardless whether it's power tools, track times or butt dyno.

WHat is the evidence that the power was less?

Perhaps it's the (well known) fact that a P90DL will put down more power when in Max Battery mode? The same bug that is preventing battery heating and launch mode from being enabled is also preventing the drive units from drawing the power levels that they normally would in Max Battery Mode - because, with these updates breaking that function in these cars, the car is simply not entering that mode.

The only place where the power difference is debatable is on P85DL cars, but they still benefit from battery heating and launch mode preloading the rear suspension - things that were broken with the update.