Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are some inventory cars much cheaper than others for same config?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found an inventory car that is much cheaper than retail and also other inventory available for the same config. Does anyone know how Tesla prices these? Would anything be wrong with it?
My M3 in 2019 ended up being a demo model with 400 miles on it. It was flawless and I saved 2k at that time. As far as what’s going on now, it could be that they want to move inventory or it’s a car that somebody cancelled for whatever reason. Or someone denied it at pickup for some over the top reason or Tesla fixed it for a legitimate reason and no one would know.

Reactions: tradosaurus
My M3 in 2019 ended up being a demo model with 400 miles on it. It was flawless and I saved 2k at that time. As far as what’s going on now, it could be that they want to move inventory or it’s a car that somebody cancelled for whatever reason. Or someone denied it at pickup for some over the top reason or Tesla fixed it for a legitimate reason and no one would know.

That's what worries me. Would Tesla pass on a lemon to the next unsuspecting customer?

They're discounted to move them since they’re already built. Doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with them, rejects, or that they are demo cars. Demo cars are clearly labeled as such. If you find an inventory car that you like I’d buy it over a custom built. Save yourself some money and there’s a chance if you build one you could end up getting an inventory one if it meets your specs and just be paying more.

Reactions: indolent
My M3 in 2019 ended up being a demo model with 400 miles on it. It was flawless and I saved 2k at that time.
As far as what’s going on now, it could be that they want to move inventory or it’s a car that somebody cancelled for whatever reason.
Or someone denied it at pickup for some over the top reason or Tesla fixed it for a legitimate reason and no one would know.

This is what SpaceX is doing with reusable boosters. I wonder if a satellite company would get or not a discount when using a "pre-owned" booster?

In fact, Elon Musk mentioned that he would prefer flying an airplane who already flew before than flying an airplane who never flown before!!!

They have a bunch of factors to fill in gaps, if they can fit another delivery on a truck... if its been sitting on a lot from a cancellation etc etc

I felt like i got a great deal on my in July paid 52 for my LR existing inventory 7 pass with white interior and 0% tax (plus fed incentives)

now i'm seeing MYLR with 0% tax at 47k! and MYP for 50K but its just the nature of the beast!

I was told by the Tesla rep that I've been texting that once I order an inventory car and then find one cheaper "you don't even have to cancel we can change your VIN up to two times so if there is a cheaper available we can update for you".
So this morning I found the exact Tesla I ordered for $800 cheaper.