Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are TSportline wheels so much more expensive than Replikas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to decide what to replace the 19" Tempests on the Model S long range I just picked up. Pretty much settled on a 20" x 10" square setup, and debating between the TSportline TSS or TS5s, or the Replika 264s (which are basically a copy of the Arachnids). I've narrowed it down to these because they have more of an OEM look compared to most other aftermarket wheels.

What I don't understand is the dramatic difference in price between the TSportlines, and other aftermarket wheel brands like this one. Replika looks to be a reputable, Canadian company, and it seems like there are many positive reports about their wheels from Tesla owners. Both the TSportline wheels (TSS and TS5) are flow forged, so are the Replikas. TSporlines TSS / TS5s are around $675 each, the Replikas are $250 (after CAD to USD exchange rate).

Are the TSportlines of higher quality or more reliable in some objective way? Or is it all marketing? What am I missing? I'm afraid to go with the Replikas because of the low price.

What's the weight difference? Often, wheel companies charge a lot more when their wheels weigh less. And some just charge too much for no good reason.

With previous cars, I have used many of the low cost aftermarket wheels, and I never had a problem. On some forums, they will scream that you car will blow up as soon as you mount low cost aftermarket wheels, but they're just making that up with no personal experience.

Last edited:
A few thoughts:

1) The grade of the material used in the Tsportline wheels is higher, resulting in a stronger wheel.
2) The economics of where the wheels are built are substantially different (for example, Tsportlines are made in Germany and Replikas are made in Korea. All else equal, I would expect German wheels to be more expensive than Korean wheels.
3) Tsportline has a higher profit margin on their wheels.

Artemus

Reactions: KyleDay and morbidz
A few thoughts:

1) The grade of the material used in the Tsportline wheels is higher, resulting in a stronger wheel.
2) The economics of where the wheels are built are substantially different (for example, Tsportlines are made in Germany and Replikas are made in Korea. All else equal, I would expect German wheels to be more expensive than Korean wheels.
3) Tsportline has a higher profit margin on their wheels.

Artemus
TSportline claims it manufactures their wheels in the US, and it looks like Replika (owned by Fast Wheels) sources from multiple oversea factories.

And I found this article by TSporline since posting this - obviously self serving but it does call out a few other things like "hub centering". Not sure how important but I buy they that have optimized their wheels / wheel designs for Teslas given that that's all they focus on.

Leaning towards the TSportline now......anyone thinking of selling their 20" x 10" TSS or TS5s by any chance?

Trying to decide what to replace the 19" Tempests on the Model S long range I just picked up. Pretty much settled on a 20" x 10" square setup, and debating between the TSportline TSS or TS5s, or the Replika 264s (which are basically a copy of the Arachnids). I've narrowed it down to these because they have more of an OEM look compared to most other aftermarket wheels.

What I don't understand is the dramatic difference in price between the TSportlines, and other aftermarket wheel brands like this one. Replika looks to be a reputable, Canadian company, and it seems like there are many positive reports about their wheels from Tesla owners. Both the TSportline wheels (TSS and TS5) are flow forged, so are the Replikas. TSporlines TSS / TS5s are around $675 each, the Replikas are $250 (after CAD to USD exchange rate).

Are the TSportlines of higher quality or more reliable in some objective way? Or is it all marketing? What am I missing? I'm afraid to go with the Replikas because of the low price.
Those are the same as everywhere. You pay for marketing

Material, build quality, and weight are the biggest price-determinations when it comes to wheels. Sometimes offset plays a role too depending on how aggressive you need to go. Everything else is all name brand, and you do pay a lot for name brand (i.e. ADV1, HRE, BBS, etc.).

For daily, normal street use for average people (like 98% of us here), any half-way reputable wheel brand will do. I'd focus more on wheel fascia design that appeals to you than anything else. I would go as far as to not even worry about weight because if we were so concerned about weight, we'd all be sticking with 19-inch wheels and nothing else.

Reactions: danp
Yikes. $675/unit for flow forged wheels is pretty steep. A "flow forged" wheel isn't really forged at all; at its core it's still a cast wheel.

I'm keeping the stock wheel and tire setup on my MS LR, but if I was to change to an aftermarket wheel I like the Martian MW03 or MW05. Both are fully forged wheels. MW03 is $645/wheel; MW05 is $825/wheel.

I agree that Martian wheels would be a good choice; fully forged and 23-24 lbs depending on which size you order.

Artemus

Yikes. $675/unit for flow forged wheels is pretty steep. A "flow forged" wheel isn't really forged at all; at its core it's still a cast wheel.

I'm keeping the stock wheel and tire setup on my MS LR, but if I was to change to an aftermarket wheel I like the Martian MW03 or MW05. Both are fully forged wheels. MW03 is $645/wheel; MW05 is $825/wheel.

If willing to spend a bit more, you could go with Signature or BC Wheels. Very lightweight and strong. I think Jamie at Signature Wheels @SignatureSales has a 20" square fitment that allows you to rotate front to rear. I'll let him correct me if wrong. Most of the square fitments I've seen don't allow for that kind of rotation without dismounting the tire from the rim.

As soon as I can find a 20" square fitment that will 100% work with my track pack brakes, that is what I am going to do.

There are only a handful of wheel companies that DO NOT source their fully forged materials out of China/Taiwan.

HRE is one. Forgeline is a true all USA wheel maker. BBS sources out of Germany and Japan.

Signature, Vossen, TSport, etc are value based budget wheels and pass the China/Taiwan savings to the consumer.

I personally only run forged wheels from USA/Japan/Germany. I pay extra for the quality.

There are only a handful of wheel companies that DO NOT source their fully forged materials out of China/Taiwan.

HRE is one. Forgeline is a true all USA wheel maker. BBS sources out of Germany and Japan.

Signature, Vossen, TSport, etc are value based budget wheels and pass the China/Taiwan savings to the consumer.

I personally only run forged wheels from USA/Japan/Germany. I pay extra for the quality.
I didn’t realize Taiwan forged AL wasn’t the same quality as US / Germany / Japan.