Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do diff battery packs have diff 0-60mph times?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reducing the number of cells and reducing the weight would help the 0-60 a lot.
4554 of the best Model S cells would produce about the same power and shave off 300ish pounds.
That could cut the 0-60 by 3 or 4 tenths. Done right it could also lower the CG which would be great for handling.

Hmm, redo the ESS insides so that it is 4554 cells on the bottom, and a liquid cooled PEM above. (You already have liquid cooling for the battery box.) Now you have the empty space above (where the old PEM went) to use as a storage area for the soft top and UMC, so you still have your full trunk even when "topless". Just an idea.

Check out the difference in packs between the Roadster and Roadster Sport

I thought you were discussing this in the context of the different battery sizes for the Model S (what Andrew was talking about and this thread was talking about).

The difference/bottleneck in the Roadster and Roadster Sport is in the motor (hand-wound for denser windings), not the battery. The difference/bottleneck in the Performance Model S is in the inverter. But in the case of the smaller packs in the Model S, the batteries are the bottleneck (I have heard all the Model S will use the same motor).

If #3 was the main reason, there should be evidence of throttling of performance (as in a software limit on performance, not hardware). I have seen no evidence of this so far.

Hmm, redo the ESS insides so that it is 4554 cells on the bottom, and a liquid cooled PEM above. (You already have liquid cooling for the battery box.) Now you have the empty space above (where the old PEM went) to use as a storage area for the soft top and UMC, so you still have your full trunk even when "topless". Just an idea.

$80k later!

I would take a battery swap of 79kwh instead and have a 350 mile range. I just need more range.

I thought you were discussing this in the context of the different battery sizes for the Model S (what Andrew was talking about and this thread was talking about).

The difference/bottleneck in the Roadster and Roadster Sport is in the motor (hand-wound for denser windings), not the battery. The difference/bottleneck in the Performance Model S is in the inverter. But in the case of the smaller packs in the Model S, the batteries are the bottleneck (I have heard all the Model S will use the same motor).

If #3 was the main reason, there should be evidence of throttling of performance (as in a software limit on performance, not hardware). I have seen no evidence of this so far.

The point I was trying to make is that the bottleneck could be the motor not the pack (as it was in the roadster)....I have seen conflicting information with regards to this. I do not think it is fact just yet, that the bottleneck is the pack in the Model S.

I wonder for the Model S if going from a 40 kWh to 85 kWh pack years from now will offer the performance bump (without supercharging access though) since the motor seems to be the same across all cars.

I asked this question to the Tesla rep on my test drive. He said that it will get the same performance as the 85 KWh pack when the battery is upgraded.

The difference/bottleneck in the Roadster and Roadster Sport is in the motor (hand-wound for denser windings), not the battery...

This has been debated and discussed before, and I don't think we ever got consensus.
Aside from the possible motor winding differences, we heard there might be more IGBTs in the PEM, or maybe just different firmware. No official/final word on what exactly was done other than more amps at low RPMS.

Last edited:

A really good idea! Joost, are you listening!?

What IS the correct conversion factor to use between hp and kW ?

Tesla: 416hp/310kW=1,34
Leaf: 109hp/80kW=1,36

According to eHow.com: "Both horsepower (hp) and kilowatts (kw) are units of power. As such, converting between the two is a straightforward calculation. The term horsepower was coined by the Scottish engineer James Watt to market steam engines in a power rating familiar to most people of the time. One horsepower is equivalent to 746 watts, or 0.746 kilowatts. The term watt was named after James Watt."

What IS the correct conversion factor to use between hp and kW ?
Tesla: 416hp/310kW=1,34
Leaf: 109hp/80kW=1,36
From Wikipedia: Horsepower

Mechanical horsepower: hp(I) ≡ 33,000 ft-lbf/min = 550 ft·lbf/s = 745.699872 W
Metric horsepower: hp(M) ≡ 75 kgf·m/s ≡ 735.49875 W
Electrical horsepower: hp(E) ≡ 746 W
Boiler horsepower: hp(S) ≡ 33,475 BTU/h = 9,809.5 W
Hydraulic horsepower:
= flow rate (US gal/min) × pressure (psi) × 7/12,000
or
= flow rate (US gal/min) × pressure (psi) / 1714 = 550 ft·lbf/s = 745.699872 W

Cleary, Nissan uses metric horsepower (735,5 W/HP or 1,36 HP/kW).
As we are talking about electric machines, the correct factor to use is 746 W/HP or 1,34 HP/kW).