Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do EV drivers park in EV spaces and not charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prank Idea: Model S owners band together and take up every pump spot at a high traffic gas station and go sit down for lunch across the street.

It would be fun, but likely a law against it. If nothing else, the station owner could have you towed for trespassing.

The problem is charging station owners do not want to upset their customers. If people with their entitlement card shop at their store, it gets the job done and doesn't cost them a dime. In reality, it may be better for the store as it doesn't cost them anything.

I still think this should happen. Tesla should spearhead a national "block the fuel pump day" so people can see what it is like for an EV driver to arrive at a charging station that has been ICEd. Have a bunch of EVs park at the pumps and then when all the EVs are in place all the drivers leave their vehicles and drive away to some off-sight location. Even at the risk of being towed. And yes I would offer up my Model S for such a worthy endeavor.

I agree. EV owners should do that few times per year: blocking all but one pump at stations (simultaneously if many stations in close proximity) for short period of few hours. Initially. Until government takes it seriously and literally writes a law that allows immediate towing (and it actually happens).

As of right now, some DC chargers here are situated at gas stations. I've considered parking at fuel pump until DC station ICE'r leaves, but for now, I've not needed a charge that much, I just take next DC charger at next gas station. I've encountered few times when cashier at the station was the one who parked at charging station.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I still think this should happen. Tesla should spearhead a national "block the fuel pump day" so people can see what it is like for an EV driver to arrive at a charging station that has been ICEd.

While I appreciate the sentiment, I don't think this is a very good idea. Aside from the old axiom "two wrongs don't make a right", when 99% of people drive ICE cars and 1% drive EVs, there won't be a lot of sympathy when it's only the 1% being inconvenienced.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
The only charging station near my house is labeled as Handicapped parking.I guess that might force people to stay with the car as it charges. On the other hand, I've only seen one car towed for misusing a Handicapped spot and that was 25 years ago.

The gripping hand: it's in a Trimet parking garage, so I suspect people will leave their car, charging or not.

Why do people do this? I think they are just as bad as ICE drivers parking in EV spaces.

I see it happen a lot in Austin TX (just moved here) where the EV parking and etiquette aren’t as good as California.

I guess it will get better over time.

Because these particular EV Owners have not read and learned the EV Guidelines:

www.EVguidelines.org

6C9AFB50-C3ED-4EFC-A9BB-EF616B400527.jpeg

Reactions: mblakele
fake towing signs are the answer until laws are passed allowing towing. i kid, don't vandalize or pollute.

but a call to a local tow company that services that lot may suffice, tow companies are "eager" to provide services to the lots they patrol. they work hard to get those lots. $$$ ;-)