Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do I drive approx 40 miles, and my battery uses approx double mileage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As it was asked above, this depends a lot on a number of factors. Two of the most important are speed and battery temperature.

This is very different from ICE cars. Contrary to what we're used to, driving fast increases a lot the power requirement. An arbitrary example would be driving at 40mph will get you double range compared to driving at 75mph.

Also battery temperature makes a significant difference. In the cold (near freezing) you'll get about 30% less out of a full charge (I mostly made up this percentage but the real one is around there).

Edit: one more thing, if you've set the battery indicator to show you percentage instead of distance (which you should do) it's good to know the drain is not linear. You'll see it dropping faster from a high state of charge than from about 50-60% down, for example.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
As it was asked above, this depends a lot on a number of factors. Two of the most important are speed and battery temperature.

This is very different from ICE cars. Contrary to what we're used to, driving fast increases a lot the power requirement. An arbitrary example would be driving at 40mph will get you double range compared to driving at 75mph.

Also battery temperature makes a significant difference. In the cold (near freezing) you'll get about 30% less out of a full charge (I mostly made up this percentage but the real one is around there).

Edit: one more thing, if you've set the battery indicator to show you percentage instead of distance (which you should do) it's good to know the drain is not linear. You'll see it dropping faster from a high state of charge than from about 50-60% down, for example.
Thanks for the reply, that’s interesting. It does seem like it drops rather quickly, then slows down, barely. I’ve never driven with less than 100 miles remaining. Maybe it will start to miser?

This is driving me nuts! 2014 P85DL. Driving normal it is just chewing up my battery. Is this normal? It’s almost double the mileage.

Could I have a defective battery?

Thank you.

Keep an eye on the power utilization monitor; it'll tell you roughly how much power you're using. Frustratingly it doesn't tell you *where* the energy is going but it is a start.

The range estimate is assuming, basically, that you're driving on a mirror, on level ground, in a vacuum, with the climate control turned off, no rain, and no traffic, at exactly 53 MPH. Under those driving conditions you can meet or exceed the rated range. There is a helpful bar that will tell you when you're over (or under) the rated range.

Kidding aside, I have hit the rated range on typical spring days in New England highways, windows up, range mode on, steady 75mph, cruise control on, not too many hills.

Once you introduce hills, traffic, running the heater or AC, or other factors like wonky tires/suspension/brakes you'll lose a large fraction of your range.

Lots of people complain about the range number but the critical factor is "can I reach the next supercharger or skip to the one after it, and get to the charger with 8-20% of my battery left as a buffer against unforeseen issues?" The lower the charge is on the battery when you land at the supercharger, the faster the rate of charge will be.

Reactions: hcdavis3