Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do I keep loosing dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone can offer any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Since taking delivery of my Nomad wireless charging pad I had tried to plug in the USB stick for the dashcam via a USB splitter or USB hub. What I have found over the last couple of weeks is that when I get in the car to drive the Nomad pad is working fine, but there is no dashcam recording icon. To make the dashcam icon come up I have to unplug the USB Stick from either the hub or the splitter and then it will work fine for the rest of the drive. If I don't unplug and replug the stick, the dashcam icon will just not be there for the drive. It is really weird as it had been working fine until I believe I got the 18.42.4 update. I don't know if that is truly helpful or a red herring. I am currently on 18.42.8 and the issue persists. Has anyone been experiencing this and if so have you found a fix for it?

Thanks

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am not using an aftermarket dashcam, but trying to use the Tesla solution using the car's cameras that become active with Version 9.

9nohQh4.jpg

Firewired, I had similar problems. I found that they went away when I stopped using the USB hub. Now the TeslaCam flash drive is directly inserted in one of the USB ports and the hub is only used to provide power to the two charging cables.

Perhaps there is a timeout issue when the car is waking up from a sleep cycle that prevents the car from seeing the flash drive when connected through a USB hub.

I'd like to hear if you found a solution? I have the Nomad charging system which takes up both USB ports. I'd like to use the splitter and plug the USB drive to the splitter.

BTW, do you have to erase the drive when it is full or does it overwrite data already on the drive?

I use a 3-way splitter that is plugged into the right-front USB port. This splitter powers the TeslaCam drive, a USB music drive and a phone charger. I have not had any problems. It may be that some splitters work and some don't. It is weird that it only works when you remove it then plug back in though....Have you tried using it in the splitter but without the Nomad charger?

BTW, do you have to erase the drive when it is full or does it overwrite data already on the drive?

You shouldnt have to erase it - it should record 1-minute video segments for 10 minutes, then on the 11th minute it will delete the oldest video segment on write over it with a new one, repeating, etc. However, of you ask the dashcam to "Save" a video by pressing on the icon, it will save a separate set of files that it will not delete/overwrite. (I think the temporary video files ones are named with a different prefix than the saved ones....like "running" and "saved" iirc.) So, if you tell it to save a few blocks of video, it will eventually fill up the disk.

That being said, I have sometimes found random temp files and other things which seem to accumulate, so its a good idea to take it out every few weeks and clean it up, test to make sure it is still working.

Zero issues since 42.4 with dashcam feature. Works great now.

Here’s my setup:
SIIGUSB 2.0 2-Port Hub

Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus 64GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive

Also have the 1st gen Nomad charger

I have the flash drive and the right side usb connector from the Nomad plugged into the Siig hub. Flash drive is formatted gpart and into two partitions. One for music and other for dashcam.

Reactions: SteveD
I've had issue also when I plugged a USB drive with music and another for TeslaCam into a hub. The result was sometimes the Cam would work and sometimes it doesn't. The hub is USB 3.0, so I don't know if that somehow made things not work.

I have since switched to using a single SSD partitioned to two drives. One for music and one for cam storage. Have not had any issues since getting off the hub.