Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does my Model Y only charge at a max of 24 A?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 32 A single phase wall charger at our house. When I plug in our Model Y RWD the maximum setting in the Tesla app for the charging rate appears to be 24 A. At first I thought this might be due to the fact the battery was already quite full (ie above 80%). The other day, the battery was at 49% and the app still had 24 A as a maximum. I've asked Tesla support about this but not heard back from them. Does anybody here know the answer to this question? Would be nice to charge at 32 A, especially when the sun is shining.

IMG_6423.PNG

The 80% rule is common for equipment especially EV charger, since it is typically to have continuous load for a long time, this is just on safe side to minimize heat build up.

If appears you are from the USA… this is not the case in Australia. Our wiring rules are such that any installation must support continuous draw at the stated current. A 10A or 15A socket therefore must have the correct sized wiring to enable that draw continuously.

Reactions: cbdream99
Upvote 0
If appears you are from the USA… this is not the case in Australia. Our wiring rules are such that any installation must support continuous draw at the stated current. A 10A or 15A socket therefore must have the correct sized wiring to enable that draw continuously.
Good to know. In the US, it is not the equipment that is not able to sustain the load but there is another set of code National Electric Code to provide a safety margin, they consider running the max load or slightly overload that don't trip the breaker for an extended period of time may generate enough heat that can eventually damage or weaken the circuit, receptacle etc and become a fire hazard one day. That's why the chargers are configured not to draw more than 80% for code compliant.

I used to have a clipper creek charger that charges at 32A on a 50A breaker, the wire is barely warm, but now I use the Tesla wall charger at 40A, I can feel the heat on the wire, not sure Australia have similar rule for EV charging equipment though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We have a 32 A single phase wall charger at our house. When I plug in our Model Y RWD the maximum setting in the Tesla app for the charging rate appears to be 24 A.
If you are using the Tesla Wall Charger then part of the provisioning process is to set the maximum charge current. What makes you think you have 32A available? It may have been provisioned for 24A. If your installer used properly sized breaker/wiring for 32A then it may be possible to raise the charge current limit to 32A. That is a software configuration item.

Upvote 0