Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does the editor keep deleting my blank lines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
Referral Code
Edit: The problem is with using "Shift-Enter" instead of just "Enter". Of course the question is still why?

I believe in white space between paragraphs.

But the current forum editor will delete them if I press backspace anywhere in the paragraph. I can put them back, but it is infuriating.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

Last edited:
I haven’t seen that issue. Are the blank lines going away as soon as you press backspace, or when you post? Which device and platform are you using? I use Safari on iOS and macOS. I have other issues with the editor but not that one.

Let's see if this happens currently with Chrome on Windows. The issue happens while editing the message.

Does it happen here? It does.

Repro steps:

Type a line. Pres return a couple of times to start a new line. It should look like this:

Line 1

Line 2

Then while you are line press backspace (to say delete the number 2). As soon as press delete the blank line between 1 and 2 disappears. I can reinsert it and it will stay as long as don't press backspace.

The effect is localized to only the most recent blank line.

Let's see if this happens currently with Chrome on Windows. The issue happens while editing the message.

Does it happen here? It does.

Repro steps:

Type a line. Pres return a couple of times to start a new line. It should look like this:

Line 1

Line 2

Then while you are line press backspace (to say delete the number 2). As soon as press delete the blank line between 1 and 2 disappears. I can reinsert it and it will stay as long as don't press backspace.

The effect is localized to only the most recent blank line.
Testing this on MacOS with Edge

Does this remove blank lines? It does as well.

Was it really muscle memory of using Shift-Enter?

Let's see if this delete lines? OMG! IT DOESN'T
I had developed a habit if pressing "Shift-Enter" instead of just "Enter" when composing because I had been burned by sites posting prematurely when you press "Enter".

The habit was so ingrained that I don't even think of it or notice it. This why I didn't even include in the description of the problem.

So the new problem description why does site editor treat "Shift-Enter" differently from "Enter" when editing.