Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why doesn't Tesla sell an option that fills the "frunk" with a battery for more range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D9D13236-E6BB-49A4-A517-CCE8CFEBE228.png

I have discovered a dichotomy with my 2019 "Raven" Long-Range Model S. With about 370 miles of rated range, I have to keep it charged the "sweet" spot when charging in my garage. Charging at 40 amps (50 amp circuit) reaches about 28 miles an hour max. Normally, I charge at night with a Time-Of-Day meter to save money. The rates are the cheapest from 11 PM to 7 AM. Within the 8 hour window, I can charge ~225 miles. This is more than sufficient for my daily/weekly driving. Tesla has said for a number of years that it is a weight vs. benefit trade off. The more weight, the less added range due the extra batteries. Thus other SW and Motor changes produced the "Raven" with its phenomenal range.

Recently, I had to prepare for a 680 mile trip... max charging for the first leg from Atlanta to Asheville, NC was a two-night charge in my garage withing the 8-hour window. I had taken this trip a number of times in my prior Model X (pictured after its demise) I wanted to see if cutting out one of the recommended charge stops by fully-charging the battery and forging ahead would save time. Raven to the MAX! I tried my strategy both going and returning. On the trip out it saved no time from the 12 hours that Tesla route/stops recommended. This was due to the diminishing range per hour on the SC as the battery reaches its max charge. On the return, with elevation changes, it was worse! Fully charging at the first stop took an added 40 mins. I charged to 99% of the Raven S's range (360 Miles) for the 285 mile trip to the next SC allowing a loss of 75 miles due to heater and elevation. It was fine until I started climbing the Blue Ridge Mountains on I 81. I watched my Watts/mile jump from 270 to 500+!! Having passed the last SC in VA and had to reach the next at Asheville, NC. I made it with butt clinching 5% remaining.... 8-10 miles. Now I had to completely recharge the battery to reach home -- fortunately is was down hill to Atlanta. My test "folly" increased the trip by nearly 1 hour due to charging and 30 mins because I had to drive down the Smokey mountains in the dark - 12 hours became 13.5!!!

Sorry for the long post, but it appears that EVs need faster/more efficient batteries and faster charges/systems. More may not be better! It appears Tesla installing and upgrading SC to 250 KW or greater is the right strategy. Hooray for the Model 3/Y with the 2170 technology that charges faster and for the more efficient motor in the front of the Raven S/X. There is a law of diminishing returns on battery size. As my mother used to say -- "Some people don't believe Fat Meat is Greasy", but I had to test my theory! Next time I'll let Tesla calculate the route and stops.