Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the CCS being adopted as the standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just returned from renting a CCS Combo 2 equipped Model Y on our vacation.
Wow! That thing is a big beast! It's noticeably worse than the CCS Combo 1 used in the USA, especially the non-Tesla ones with a long, heavy cable in addition to the huge, heavy connector. Its a 2-handed job and would likely be hard for some people who cannot lift heavy objects.
Even the Type-2 connector cable is a beast compared with J-1772.
At least, for North America, cable size has nothing to do with CCS.

If CCS requires thicker cables, Tesla would have had to retrofit Superchargers with separate CCS cables for CCS compatibility as opposed to using the Magic Dock.

Last edited:
I suspect it is because the low-bidder didn't bother with sophisticated cable cooling so they had to use the thick cable to handle the 300 KW current. Another cause of the weight is because the cable has too be long enough to reach the myriad of possible charge port locations from non-standardized cars.
If CCS requires thicker cables, Tesla would have had to retrofit Superchargers with separate CCS cables for CCS compatibility as opposed to using the Magic Dock.
Not because of thicker required cables (they can liquid cool thinner ones) but because of a possible need for very long cables. This is yet another reason Tesla might not want to get into the mess that is CCS.
I guess CCS drivers are going to have to spend more time working out with Battle Exercise Ropes so they're in shape to lug the cables around.

I suspect it is because the low-bidder didn't bother with sophisticated cable cooling so they had to use the thick cable to handle the 300 KW current. Another cause of the weight is because the cable has too be long enough to reach the myriad of possible charge port locations from non-standardized cars.

Not because of thicker required cables (they can liquid cool thinner ones) but because of a possible need for very long cables. This is yet another reason Tesla might not want to get into the mess that is CCS.
I guess CCS drivers are going to have to spend more time working out with Battle Exercise Ropes so they're in shape to lug the cables around.
My point is that, as Tesla has already proven, thickness and length of the cable has fundamentally nothing to do with CCS.

Rather, the are the result of choices made by the chargepoint operators.

My point is that, as Tesla has already proven, thickness and length of the cable has fundamentally nothing to do with CCS.

Rather, the are the result of choices made by the chargepoint operators.
True, however, the weak business cases thus far found for public open-standard fast charging, including the lack of support by those who can make money from EVs (non-Tesla automakers) seems to drive CCS charging station (chargepoint is a registered trademark of one, particular, charging station network provider) providers to make poor decisions such as these.
I don't know whether it is because smart business folks are afraid to enter that business, because of the punitive nature of the big guys, or some other mechanism but, whatever it is, the result is not good.

Correct all DC cables are essentially the same, no matter what plug is on the end.

You got you CP and PP and Earth,
And then the two DC cables.

The size of the combined cable really depends on how many Amps you want to put through it.
Under 200A (80kW for 400V cars) can be thinner and doesn't need cooling.
Above 200A you start needing thicker cables and some form of active cooling.

And the size of the cable, cooling solution and outer wrap will determine how flexible it is.