Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the CCS being adopted as the standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not exactly a brilliant observation, however, if you look at what works, the traditional approach clearly does not work.

I will note that General Electric, Edison, and Westinghouse did make infrastructure as well as consumer devices, as did the Bell Telephone Company.

If these guys want to be a part of an EV future, they're going to have to do things differently - or go the way of Nokia, Kodak, Blockbuster, etc. Suggesting Tesla is wrong for doing the right thing and being successful and expecting them to do stupid things that don't work is just plain ludicrous.

As one of Tesla's 1st customer (since 2006), we would not have invested what we did in them, had they done the same thing as the traditional automakers. We had already learned our lesson by giving GM a chance to do EVs and leasing an EV1 back in 1999. That was and epic fail that taught us big lessons. After losing that great car, we looked earnestly for a replacement. Clearly, the traditional automakers were not going to be a source and nobody else looked like they'd have a solution until Tesla came along doing things differently.
. . . and here we are today. I have easily driven our Tesla across the USA in 3 days (Leaving Virginia Tidewater area and arriving in time for a 5:00 pm meeting near LAX), proving it is almost on parity with ICE, because of Superchargers. CCS cars are stuck with the lousy charging infrastructure from the failed approach of the CCS community (charging service providers, auto manufacturers, government officials/agencies, and drivers)
Now, why would anyone suggest the CCS approach is the right one?

If there were public 150 kW+ chargers every 50 miles along the interstate and busy state highway, would Tesla build the Supercharger?

Hell no!

Tesla has to build the Supercharger because there was no public infrastructure at the time.

That doesn't mean that every other automaker should copy Tesla and all have their own exclusive charging networks.

If every automaker has its own exclusive charging network, it would be a disaster.

This is why the government is subsidizing public charging stations.

If there were public 150 kW+ chargers every 50 miles along the interstate and busy state highway, would Tesla build the Supercharger?
If there were 150 KW+ RELIABLY WORKING chargers every 50 miles along the interstate and busy state highways, even if they were ugly, kluges like CCS, there would be no need for Tesla or anyone to build the Superchargers.
This was Tesla's original plan.
However: Even a decade after the non-Tesla Nissan Leaf came out, there aren't RELIABLY WORKING chargers out there.

This is the real world and, other than Tesla who is committed to making reliable EV charging work, I, sadly, don't see any sign of it improving much over the next decade unless an automaker (I keep hoping Ford will do something) makes it happen.

...This is the real world and, other than Tesla who is committed to making reliable EV charging work, I, sadly, don't see any sign of it improving much over the next decade unless an automaker (I keep hoping Ford will do something) makes it happen.
The businesses that install government-subsidized and mandated chargers make their money up-front. Nobody but the EV driver is suffering when a charging station acts up or sits unrepaired due to underfunded maintenance or poor design.

Tesla know that their entire business plan depends on their customers having a superlative charging experience every time. It's a top priority.

If there were 150 KW+ RELIABLY WORKING chargers every 50 miles along the interstate and busy state highways, even if they were ugly, kluges like CCS, there would be no need for Tesla or anyone to build the Superchargers.
This was Tesla's original plan.
However: Even a decade after the non-Tesla Nissan Leaf came out, there aren't RELIABLY WORKING chargers out there.

This is the real world and, other than Tesla who is committed to making reliable EV charging work, I, sadly, don't see any sign of it improving much over the next decade unless an automaker (I keep hoping Ford will do something) makes it happen.
If you ever used FLO in Canada, you know that that isn't true.

FLO charging network has Supercharger-like reliability.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
The only two times when Mitsubishi was relevant were making the Zero in WW2 and when Jackie Chan was their promoter (at least in Asia). Haha!:p

The only two times when Mitsubishi was relevant were making the Zero in WW2 and when Jackie Chan was their promoter (at least in Asia). Haha!:p
@cwerdna What are you disagreeing about. Some hints, like language, would be helpful! I mean, for a while, the Zero was the top fighter of its time. Additionally, have a Chinese national who was also a superstar celebrity in Asia, Jackie Chan, endorse a Japanese product was akin to MLK endorsing slavery - that's the context.

• Disagree
Reactions: Nubo
Too bad they aren't anywhere that I've ever needed them in my over 300,000 miles of EV driving across the USA.
It needs reliability as well as coverage, capacity, and convenience.
Maybe some day . . .
Time to drive across Canada.

Or if you don't have a passport, Vermont. (FLO is there too).

FLO chargers are built like tanks.

It has two buttons (START and STOP) and a calculator screen for a display.

FLO-SmartDC.png

@cwerdna What are you disagreeing about. Some hints, like language, would be helpful! I mean, for a while, the Zero was the top fighter of its time.
Mitsubishi a giant conglomerate. You can take a look at the below:
Mitsubishi Group | Japanese business consortium

We just returned from renting a CCS Combo 2 equipped Model Y on our vacation.
Wow! That thing is a big beast! It's noticeably worse than the CCS Combo 1 used in the USA, especially the non-Tesla ones with a long, heavy cable in addition to the huge, heavy connector. Its a 2-handed job and would likely be hard for some people who cannot lift heavy objects.
Even the Type-2 connector cable is a beast compared with J-1772.