Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Japan will adopt NACS.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WILL Japan adopt NACS?

CHAdeMO was developed in 2010 by the CHAdeMO Association, a charging system design from the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO). TEPCO had been participating on numerous EV infrastructure trial projects between 2006 and 2009 in collaboration with Nissan, Mitsubishi, Fuji Heavy Industries (now Subaru), and other manufacturers. These trials resulted in TEPCO developing patented technology and a specification, which would form the basis for the CHAdeMO.
(from Wiki)

CHAdeMO is a DC only standard with a rather bulky connector that barely expanded outside of Japan and in 2022 was starting to disappear in USA. Very recently Japan started to install CCS in locations (reasons?) so it practically does not exist in Japan.

Now that Nissan officially is going NACS, there is every chance NACS will be adopted by Japan. The reason is simple, why should Nissan support CCS1 when it does not exist in Japan, has a bad reputation in USA, and the current CHAdeMO is an obsolete design, when it now has a single modern extremely popular connector that they MUST install in all their cars. Honda, Toyota and rest are very late to BEV so what Nissan does will greatly influence what they do.

I think more a question of WHEN, not IF.
So, IMHO, it will happen.

You don't appear to understand how Japanese business and culture works.
well, yes there is the keiretsu and thus desire to be in-group and in wider circle within Japan.
There is work on CHAdeMO 3.0 but not hear it was adopted, yet.

There are exceptions like Apple's iPhone that was first supported by NTT DoCoMo (IIRC) and soon was supported by other carriers, despite domination by Sony, Panasonic, Fujitsu, NEC, and so on (a VERY long list as cell phones are extremely popular). I know Motorolla tried to get in Japan a few years before but their devices sucked compared to Japanese models. The iPhone 3GS was comparable or just a little better to Japanese products at time.

I do not know everything and looking at your name I assume you can provide additional insights.

PS, I also know Japanese fighter aircraft, F-104, F-4, F-15, and F-16 are all built in Japan under license. Works for them!