Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the newly announce X have lower range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I haven’t seen discussed much here is that the new X supercharges as fast as the LR Model 3 for the first 15 minutes in MPH terms. This is about 50% faster than before and will make a big difference on road trips. More than making up for the small range loss... unless you’re in the great Idahoan supercharger desert.
This point to me is huge. I’ve been looking to upgrade my 2016 X 90D, I definitely experience battery envy at superchargers when doing long trips. Sure I have free unlimited supercharging for the life of my car, but at this point I would rather pay a nominal fee for charging and get in and out quicker. I would have been happier had they started to use the exact same battery packs as the 3 and Y, but this bit of info has me thinking again.

Reactions: goneskiian and DIL
I have a, what do we call it( Palladium?) on order. I always thought the actual Plaid was going to be 4680'd out. Palladium was a buzzword over the last few months. But I definitely wanted more range. I'll keep an ear out for actual range tests from the first owners for sure, before completing my purchase.