Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is there no factory front camera and visible surround camera data available on the MCU ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing the aftermarket camera thread, I have always wondered why there is no factory Tesla front camera on the X & S ?

Also seeing as there is surround cameras, except front, anyone know why can't we have access to the feed so it can be helpful for parking in tight spots ?

and has anyone hacked it to be able to view the feed from the cameras on the MCU when parking ?

The front cameras are optimized to see ahead and in fact it does not see what is a couple of inches ahead of the car as that view is blocked due to the frunk.

Unfortunately what you want is not possible with the current camera setup as the field of vision of the cameras does not cover areas with very close proximity to the tires.

The only solution is the aftermarket front camera that goes near the front fender. I also wish there was an aftermarket solution to see around the front corners..

I know, it really really sucks. The Model S is a very wide car and I'm often sweating bullets when I pull into tight parking spots with curbs all over the place.

Autonomy is supposed to be attainable with the ultrasonics and the cameras as is. You don’t need 360 view because the car can do it. :D

We all know that’s not so, at least to the degree we want it to be. I’ve signed up for the front camera and would love 360 view. Friends’ cars have it and it’s great, especially in places like tight parking garages. Not sure what Tesla was thinking as ultrasonics are notoriously bad there.

Reactions: xyeahtony
Like its been mentioned, Tesla's goal is full autonomous driving, so they plan for features to support that. Thats why the Model 3 only has one center display, etc. If your car drives itself, why do you need a surround camera?

Not saying that's a good excuse but thats their reasoning. Ultrasonic sensors are good enough for me, and people have been parking just fine without aids for decades.

Reactions: boaterva