Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no autopilot name change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep reading stories of people whose cars do weird things or almost kill them while on autopilot and they say things like "thank god I was paying attention".

To me this is crazy, because "thank god I was paying attention" is like saying "thank god I wore pants to work today" - you're supposed to.

This seems to be backed up by the masses, because these posts are immediately followed by a slew of people saying "AUTOPILOT IS NOT FSD!!!!"

Seems to me that the name of the feature, "autopilot", gives the totally wrong impression. I get that at the time it was revolutionary and Musk is prone to hyperbole, but he also changes things on whims. Why not call FSD "autopilot" and call "autopilot" something like driver assist or make up some other name for it so you dont get morons thinking it's something it's not?

Reactions: Puma2020 and bicar
...Seems to me that the name of the feature, "autopilot", gives the totally wrong impression...

What old from 1958 now become new:

Chrysler-1958-Auto-Pilot-Brochure-01.jpg

Automotive History Capsule: Chrysler’s 1958 Auto-Pilot -56 Years Before Tesla’s Autopilot