Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why range difference (only 35 mi) is so important and expensive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you have 2015 Model S 70 and 2015 Model S 90 .
Price difference - 9000 $.
Same options and milage.
Only difference - Model S 90 comes with better battery so you can drive 35 miles more!
And you pay 9000 $ for that!
Really?
Why is that so expensive?
Why would I care for doing 30 miles more and paying 9000 $ for it?
Whats the point?

Also CPO cars with premium sound cost a lot more, premium sound system should be 2500 $ extra on new car but when comparing CPO cars that add much more $ then 2500$.

In 2015 we had to make the 70 versus 90 decision when buying new (of course). I had the same questions you posed. For the price, there was no way the 90 was worth it to me. I've never regretted getting the 70. As it turns out, the 90's have had some degradation problems, whereas the 70 is solid. Mine still gets 220 miles at 90%, which is roughly like a current 75.

In my opinion, the extra 20kw comes in handy for road trips. If you plan on doing a lot of traveling the larger size can allow you to skip chargers that others have to stop at on top of your time to departure from each charger is significantly lessened.
If you do not plan on doing 2 or more 500+ Road trips every year or so, not worth it.

Just to add perspective and purely for fun...
I'm not sure I could have ever skipped a SC stop even with the extra miles. Plus, the car is usually ready to go before I am, so the length of time at the stop isn't always dictated by the length of the charge.
Over the years, I know I haven't had to spend an extra ten hours to charge, but let's say that's the case anyway. At $9000 difference in price over that time, that's a $900/hr value on my charge time. My time's not billable at that rate! I'm either spending time at work making the money to pay for the upgrade, or spending time at a SC stop, probably with my wife over a beer and a plate of Buffalo wings.

Pricing is what the market will pay.
Exactly this. I suspect the market is dominated by first time EV owners who were like me when I was looking into getting my Tesla: having no actual experience with range anxiety, I decided I'd much rather be kicking myself for overpaying for a little extra range than to be kicking myself because I cheaped out on needed range. I decided early on that I was getting the biggest battery I could afford.