Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife got curb rash on right rear wheel, Kal-tire quoted me ~$250. Any suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yeah wife got some curb rash around half the rim, at one spot it's actually a bit deep.

Phoned Kal-tire and they said over the phone it would be around $40, so I went to the store but the store guys, without taking a look, said that they usually send the whole rim off to another shop and it's around $250-350. I was like at that point I would just buy a new wheel.

Any suggestions? Thank you

Greater Vancouver area.

So yeah wife got some curb rash around half the rim, at one spot it's actually a bit deep.

Phoned Kal-tire and they said over the phone it would be around $40, so I went to the store but the store guys, without taking a look, said that they usually send the whole rim off to another shop and it's around $250-350. I was like at that point I would just buy a new wheel.

Greater Vancouver area.
Is this for the Aero rims or the sport rims? There's some touch up paint for the aero rims not sure exactly what it is but you can get it at Canadian Tire I've seen it posted here on the forms before. Even if the damage is deep with touch up paint you might not notice it so much. For 250 you should just be able to get a brand new rim unless you have something like the 20 inch sport rims.

Greater Vancouver area.

pictures?

Same problem here, going to try sanding and I believe it's a ford touch up paint at Canadian Tire is a good match, wont bother doing until the winters are on the car, but I'll post some pictures of my work when the time comes

Here are my before and after photos. Took me about 1 hour to do

I used the touch up paint, 3 types of sand paper and bondo
02DC465B-DA0B-409E-92A3-69CA465E57DA.jpeg
2917D937-5F8F-44F6-8905-CB3C0669CA35.jpeg

I have repaired several of the Sargent Major's curb rash incidents (ahem, one was my:eek: fault). I always have the wheel powder coated after my filing and and block sanding at my fav shop for $100 to return to new condition.

In the past (which has pissed me off every time), I've taken them in to get fixed professionally, but I decided with my Model 3 that I could live with a quick home fix as per jha0330.

That said, these guys come highly recommended, but the cost will be ~$175: Renewz Wheel Repair.

This time, I scratched (myself) the rim on my Model 3 trying to use only regenerative braking as I went around a corner (WHY?!). Right after fixing it, I got a screw in the sidewall (so someone's clearly trying to tell me something!).

Anyway, went to Canadian Tire and picked these up items up (no bondo, but I used a polish by hand afterwards). Can post before/after pics, but you really can't tell unless you're on your hands and knees and feeling the rim.

Dupli-Color Scratch Fix All-In-1, Dark Shadow Grey (CX)

Product #47-4956-2

Price: $20.99

3M WetorDry Sandpaper, 9-in x 11-in, 5-pk

Product #47-5932-2

Size: 2000 grit

Price: $5.99

Product #47-5931-4

Size: 220 grit

Product #47-5929-2

Size: 800 grit

Last edited:
I've found that ignoring it is both cheaper and simpler. Soon enough there will be more imperfections come to join what you have now.

True that, I'm starting to consider this haha

Is this for the Aero rims or the sport rims? There's some touch up paint for the aero rims not sure exactly what it is but you can get it at Canadian Tire I've seen it posted here on the forms before. Even if the damage is deep with touch up paint you might not notice it so much. For 250 you should just be able to get a brand new rim unless you have something like the 20 inch sport rims.

Not the sport rims, the aero rims.

She's not the first, won't be the last.

Wear your wounds in their glory.

There are some wheel protectors that will help reduce it from happening again and cover any existing damage.

I like that idea. wise words my friend.

pictures?

I put them into an imgur album here: Imgur

Here are my before and after photos. Took me about 1 hour to do

I used the touch up paint, 3 types of sand paper and bondo View attachment 450115 View attachment 450116

In the past (which has pissed me off every time), I've taken them in to get fixed professionally, but I decided with my Model 3 that I could live with a quick home fix as per jha0330.

That said, these guys come highly recommended, but the cost will be ~$175: Renewz Wheel Repair.

This time, I scratched (myself) the rim on my Model 3 trying to use only regenerative braking as I went around a corner (WHY?!). Right after fixing it, I got a screw in the sidewall (so someone's clearly trying to tell me something!).

Anyway, went to Canadian Tire and picked these up items up (no bondo, but I used a polish by hand afterwards). Can post before/after pics, but you really can't tell unless you're on your hands and knees and feeling the rim.

Dupli-Color Scratch Fix All-In-1, Dark Shadow Grey (CX)

Product #47-4956-2

Price: $20.99

Product #47-5932-2

Size: 2000 grit

Product #47-5931-4

Size: 220 grit

Product #47-5929-2

Size: 800 grit

Thanks for this. I might try this actually.

Those are some pretty deep gouges. I've never tried bondo, but I've seen the videos showing how to do it and it looks pretty simple. Frankly, my goal was to hide it enough not to have my eye go to it every time I looked at it. I figured if I messed it up, or it still bothered me, I'd just take it in and have them fix it. Otherwise, I'd have the materials on hand for when I did it again, and I'd be that much better at it the next time. It actually worked out better than I thought it would (again, the scuffs were pretty light in my case).

Here are some before/after shots for motivation. And bear in mind that I'm not a handy guy at all, but it really is simple once you get into it.

Before.jpg
After.jpg

Reactions: hohohong
I may have had a bad batch, I tried that colour from Canadian tire it was too dark

Doh! I forgot I replaced the Aeros on day 1 with the Tsportsline aftermarkets. I think they are the same colour, but thought I'd best mention that in the interests of full disclosure.

I ended up getting the colour I did for my aftermarkets based on the reviews on Amazon for the stock ones, as folks seem to be saying that the Ford colour is the best match for the OEM 18" wheels. Here is a link to those reviews:

Just wondering if you shook the paint for 30 seconds and used the included clear coat? Because I have zero confidence in my mechanical abilities, I read every instruction multiple times and watched at least 3 videos!!

Doh! I forgot I replaced the Aeros on day 1 with the Tsportsline aftermarkets. I think they are the same colour, but thought I'd best mention that in the interests of full disclosure.

I ended up getting the colour I did for my aftermarkets based on the reviews on Amazon for the stock ones, as folks seem to be saying that the Ford colour is the best match for the OEM 18" wheels. Here is a link to those reviews:

Just wondering if you shook the paint for 30 seconds and used the included clear coat? Because I have zero confidence in my mechanical abilities, I read every instruction multiple times and watched at least 3 videos!!

wait so the one you got from Canadian tire is the exact match to the OEM 18" aero alloy wheel colour? Just confirming before I go and make the purchase

The one I got from Canadian Tire is the same as the one on Amazon that has 45 reviews by Model 3 owners saying it was an exact match for the OEM 18" aero wheels.

I got that colour for my aftermarket "Turbine" style wheels (pictured above) after researching to confirm that my wheels are the same colour as the OEM aero wheels. For example, see:

Aero Wheels - touch up paint

Thanks for the picture. As luck would have it, my local service center refers out third party work to a mobile wheel guy who sets up on their lot. He repaired my wheel today. The color is the same as the S 21” Turbine wheels.
So I would say, "yes" to your question (you can see from the pics above that the colour of the OEMs and mine seem to be a perfect match), with the caveat that Goodtohave found the colour to be too dark on his OEMs.

• Helpful
Reactions: jha0330 and 525SNAP