Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi Signal LTE Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Oscurrred

2021 MS PLAID +FSD
Jun 25, 2019
Palm Springs
So i haven't RTFM, but curious. I have 2015 P90D, so the streaming music service, someone on here said is included with this year/model, but i just noticed unless my phone is connected or wifi network at home, i don't get internet? What is the deal with that? I have spectrum, so should I Just use spectrum wifi when its available? Help? what's best mode? But it does communicate with TESLA and navigation w/o a wifi connection i assume, since i told me about an update when it wasn't connected to a network. Just curious about that. And right now, 4 year old model, i am getting 248 full charge miles on this car. Is that typical for being 4 years old? :)

Dan

Dan, your vehicle has two connections to the Internet: one is cellular (slower) and other is WiFi (typically faster) connected to your Spectrum. Similar to any laptop, you must make the WiFi connection to Spectrum once, then it is memorized. WiFi has very short range so its lost when leaving home. When you say phone is connected to car, that is Bluetooth which is a private link between these and has nothing to do with Internet. Hopefully you didn't turn on phone's Hotspot and connect ms to it. Since vehicle communicates with Tesla away from home (easily tested using phone app), its cellular service is working.

IMHO, if you are not getting ms Slacker music or Internet when away from home, schedule a SC appointment. But first, I would read a page or two of the manual on music streaming to make sure it isn't operator error.

Dan, your vehicle has two connections to the Internet: one is cellular (slower) and other is WiFi (typically faster) connected to your Spectrum. Similar to any laptop, you must make the WiFi connection to Spectrum once, then it is memorized. WiFi has very short range so its lost when leaving home. When you say phone is connected to car, that is Bluetooth which is a private link between these and has nothing to do with Internet. Hopefully you didn't turn on phone's Hotspot and connect ms to it. Since vehicle communicates with Tesla away from home (easily tested using phone app), its cellular service is working.

IMHO, if you are not getting ms Slacker music or Internet when away from home, schedule a SC appointment. But first, I would read a page or two of the manual on music streaming to make sure it isn't operator error.

Sorry for my ignorance, what is "ms" lol....slacker music is working perfect, however, i don't think i get any internet once I am away from my home network, obviously. But i thought I would on a tesla network of some sort?