Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WIFI gets stuck after leaving house- have to manually turn it off every time.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So our '23 model 3 has problem. Every time we leave the house, the car keeps searching for the WIFI signal and navigation, music, everything stops and just acts like it trying to load. We have to select WIFI and turn it off every single trip, then it picks up data from the iPhone and plays music and runs the navigation.

I'm hoping this is just a silly setting I'm overlooking.

No, this is just another "software glitch" that they will probably fix in a patch or new release.

I thought they tried to "fix" this by making the transition from WiFi to Cellular more seamless, but it looks like they actually made it worse. Prior to the last update I would get maybe 100 yards up the street before it switched over, but after that it was fine.

For the past few days, it's been much worse. Most of the time it eventually switches over (maybe 1/4 mile or so away from home), but yesterday the streaming service I was using (TuneIn) kept "stopping" and "restarting" (very bizarre behavior). I temporarily switched over to Slacker and then back to TuneIn and it seemed to resolve itself.

Your experience may be different, but in the end I believe it's basically just buggy software and we'll just have to wait for the next update for it to be fixed.

Reactions: zimm17
Upvote 0
So our '23 model 3 has problem. Every time we leave the house, the car keeps searching for the WIFI signal and navigation, music, everything stops and just acts like it trying to load. We have to select WIFI and turn it off every single trip, then it picks up data from the iPhone and plays music and runs the navigation.

I'm hoping this is just a silly setting I'm overlooking.
Maybe it's your wifi setup? Maybe you have a funky modem? Tesla has it set to stop searching after awhile if a signal cannot be located so as not to kill the 12v battery. We discovered that the hard way back in early 2019 when we went on vacation and I did not have my wifi set up properly. When we got back from a 10 day vacation the 12v battery was as dead as a doornail. Tesla since then has made a modification. They named after us: "Senior Citizens screwed up"

Upvote 0
We have a google/Nest mesh router system. In fast I added a third "wifi point" to the garage just to have a full signal for the vehicles. But we can be driving 5-10 miles from the house and the car is still searching for the wifi signal instead of switching over to cellular.

Upvote 0
We have a google/Nest mesh router system. In fast I added a third "wifi point" to the garage just to have a full signal for the vehicles. But we can be driving 5-10 miles from the house and the car is still searching for the wifi signal instead of switching over to cellular.
I have an Orby with an additional Orbi booster in the house close to the garage. Got it st Costco. Works great

Upvote 0
I tried a variety of "wifi point" units. I ended up buying an Orby from Costco with an additional satellite unit set up close to the garage. Works just fine

Upvote 0