Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi & software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my model 3 delivered today. Been playing around with settings and noticed there is an update available. It says you must connect to WiFi to download update. How can this be done if car is not located close enough to house WiFi?

I have looked on my app and see it says ‘Software Update’ but nothing happens when I press it.

Any tips would be welcome.

Thanks

The car will prompt for an update using its own LTE connection, but it will only download the update over WiFi. You need to move your car within range of your WiFi, or move your WiFi within range of the car. Tethering a phone is certainly one option, but bear in mind the updates can be several Gb.

I added a mesh WiFi system purely so I got a good WiFi signal in my garage.

My friend couldn't get his car close enough to his home wifi so he went to the local cafe that has a car park outside and went in, ordered a coffee and cake, jumped onto their wifi and did the update through that! He was there 35 minutes but he thought that was an easy get-around.
He has now extended his wifi to cover his parking area at home.

Reactions: Roy W.
Perhaps obvious but when you click the LTE icon while your car is parked close to WiFi (home or other), it will bring up a list of the WiFi networks within range and you can select one. You need pretty good signal for the car to connect/stay connected.
As suggested, a mesh network node close to the car can help.

Took delivery of my SR M3 yesterday and it so far does not say an update is available, but the software is 2019.35.108? Wasn't that quite awhile back? Why wouldn't they update the cars at the service center? Is there any way to trigger an update? I tried the "tap advanced 5x" trick, but it did nothing.

Ps. I am blessed to have an attached garage covered by my wifi network.

I does seem to take a bit of time for some cars to register, when i first got my SR+ it sat on an old firmware for about 2 weeks, since then it now updates around the same time as everyone else does. the Performance one updated two days after delivery ... seems hit and miss

Took delivery of my SR M3 yesterday and it so far does not say an update is available, but the software is 2019.35.108?

I think 2019.35.108 *may* be a fraction too old to pick up the upgrade notification (I think that came in early 2019.36 and gave update notification via lte/3g [non wifi]) so it may not be so easy to spot an update being available. I say *may* as 2019.35 is not a standard schedule update (normal for delivery vehicles) so it *may* have some of the required functionality, or may not.

Don't be concerned that you don't have latest update - Tesla target individual vehicles so unlike many app/OS updates, there is no fixed schedule. But if it persists for several weeks and you are definitely on a good wifi connection (confirmed via web browser working on wifi) for hours at a time, you can raise a service request.

I think 2019.35.108 *may* be a fraction too old to pick up the upgrade notification (I think that came in early 2019.36 and gave update notification via lte/3g [non wifi]) so it may not be so easy to spot an update being available. I say *may* as 2019.35 is not a standard schedule update (normal for delivery vehicles) so it *may* have some of the required functionality, or may not.

Don't be concerned that you don't have latest update - Tesla target individual vehicles so unlike many app/OS updates, there is no fixed schedule. But if it persists for several weeks and you are definitely on a good wifi connection (confirmed via web browser working on wifi) for hours at a time, you can raise a service request.
Great, thank you for the info! Everything is shutdown so no need to be out anyway - great timing to take delivery, right?

• Funny