Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will 18" snows on my Model Y Performance work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have the rear brakes with the red plastic cover, the 18" Aero wheels from a Model 3 will fit... if you have the red painted Brembo rear caliper, they will not fit. Also, your snow tires that are currently mounted on those wheels (probably 235/45/18) will be way too small for the model Y, they would be 1 and 2/3" smaller in diameter than your stock tires.

Keith

Reactions: 455dan and Omniver
Upvote 0
Tire Rack says that 245/55-18s may fit. The standard size is 255/45-19. Side wall height is 115 mm for the 18s and 135 mm for the standard 19s. If the wheels fit then the tires will fit in the wheel wells. You can jack up the ModY, remove a wheel, and install an 18” snow tire wheel. If the wheel fits on the lugs and you can freely turn the wheel, then you have a set of snow tires.

Upvote 0
Tesla Shop website says that the 18" Gemini wheels are not compatable with the Model Y Performance. They don't have that warning on the 19" Turbine wheels. I wouldn't go less than 19".
And prior to Aug 2022 when they switched manufacturers for the rear brake calipers on the Model Y performance, this was correct. If you have a MYP from lated 2022 until now the Tesla Model 3 18" aero wheels fit just fine. The older Model 3 18" wheels have a marginal weight rating, the newer ones have a weight rating much more suitable for the Model Y.

Keith

Upvote 0
And prior to Aug 2022 when they switched manufacturers for the rear brake calipers on the Model Y performance, this was correct. If you have a MYP from lated 2022 until now the Tesla Model 3 18" aero wheels fit just fine. The older Model 3 18" wheels have a marginal weight rating, the newer ones have a weight rating much more suitable for the Model Y.

Keith
Trading my 2018 3 for a new performance Y on Monday. I have an extra set of wheels for the 3 that I’d like to use for snow tires on the Y, so I hope you’re right.

Upvote 0
Trading my 2018 3 for a new performance Y on Monday. I have an extra set of wheels for the 3 that I’d like to use for snow tires on the Y, so I hope you’re right.
Post up results either confirming or refuting the idea... I would love to have confirmation. Keep in mind, the tires for the model 3 will be much too small for the Y, but you should be able to confirm the wheels fit and then buy the correct tires for them to be the proper overall diameter for the Model Y.

Keith

Upvote 0