Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Success story with FAST EV 18 inch wheeels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any reason these 18" wheels would not fit a 23 Model Y LR (non-performance version)? Thanks!
The only potential issue are clearing the brake calipers, but these FastEV rims have plenty of clearance. Even if Tesla starts using different or larger ones, there is still plenty of room.
The only other point is that these rims have a slightly lower weight rating than the 19 inch. But if you do the math, a fully loaded Model Y is still not even near the limit of these rims. So in all aspects, these rims are great for any Model Y.

great...thanks for quick follow up. Now deciding between the Nokian Outpost Apt and the Michelin Defender. The Nokian is a bit more aggressive tread and prob a bit better in winter but still a long lasting, lightweight high performance tire.

I saw your screenshots from some of your recent trips. But, I am a complete noobie ;) Hoping to get a Model Y before the end of the month...

Shoot it to me straight. Let's say I get the long range model with an EPA estimate of 310 miles.
I understand that theres tons of factors, but lets say "normal conditions" with highway driving, doing 65-70 mph
Would I on average get like... 90% of the EPA estimate on a 100% charge? Roughly 280 miles on a full charge 100%?

With your FastEV wheels on a 100% charge, what do you think your 100% range would be?
Hopefully this all makes sense.
The question I am trying to figure out.... how much more range do you think you have added by going to the 18 Fast EV wheels?

The tires make a noticeable difference. It's a well known effect.

If you go to Tesla's configurator you can see a difference in range
21 inch wheels 279 miles (Performance)
20 inch wheels 293 miles
19 inch wheels 310 miles (with aero covers)

Extrapolating, he 18 inch wheels will give you maybe 320 miles.

Those are all EPA test cycle numbers. The test cycle is rather slow and done until the car shuts down. Your real world range will be much lower. But the difference between the wheel configurations remain the same. You will get more range going with 18 inch wheels, that is a fact. How much your actual range will be is dependent on so many factors.

Aero covers will also make a difference. That was part of the reason I got these rims. I did some fully closed aero cover tests a few years ago with my Model S and I got about 5% more range going at 65 mph. I have seen other tests that came to a similar conclusion. The FastEV wheels are also priced very reasonable.

Reactions: cxone

20 inch wheels 293 miles

Those are all EPA test cycle numbers. The test cycle is rather slow and done until the car shuts down. Your real world range will be much lower. But the difference between the wheel configurations remain the same. You will get more range going with 18 inch wheels, that is a fact. How much your actual range will be is dependent on so many factors.

Aero covers will also make a difference. That was part of the reason I got these rims. I did some fully closed aero cover tests a few years ago with my Model S and I got about 5% more range going at 65 mph. I have seen other tests that came to a similar conclusion. The FastEV wheels are also priced very reasonable.

Great info man thank you!

Reactions: David99

20 inch wheels 293 miles

Have you measured the tire circumference, used highway mile markers, or used your phone's GPS to check the actual change to speedometer/odometer? I've bought more tires for street, race, and off-road vehicles than I can remember, and one thing I learned is that the manufacturers sizing is never consistent. Even with factory set ups, I measure the circumference the old way: put a chalk mark on the sidewall and the driveway, move the car so the tire rotates once, and mark the driveway again (or garage floor, whatever). There's your actual circumference. You can technically calculate circumference from the size stamped on the sidewall, but it often doesn't match.

So by the numbers, a 275-35r21 tire should have a diameter of 275*0.35*2/25.4+21 or 28.58" and thus a circumference of 89.79". IME, the distance between the two marks on the driveway frequently does NOT match the calculation. Whenever I change the size of the stock tires on my vehicles, I do the above test (and usually phone GPS and highway mile markers too) to check the accuracy of the odometer. Any discrepancy I load into my mileage tracker spreadsheets to account for the difference mainly so I can get accurate mpg (or the ratio in your preferred terms for electric charge.) I do the same check then on my new size tires, after mounting on the vehicle, and compare the two. Obviously the bigger the difference there is between the OEM and aftermarket sizes are, the more important it is to measure.

I don't have the original tires any more so I can only measure the ones I have. That means as much as I could accurately measure them, without having an equally accurate measurement of the original tires, I'm not sure how useful it will be. I did some distance measuring on long drives. When I set the destination, the distance is shown based on map data. Once I finish the drive, the trip shows the actual distance driven based on tire rotation. I've done it a few times and the difference is a little over 3%.

Hello David, I found the wheels here as the other site is no longer.

Did you get the slots and if so why didn’t you add them?

Thanks

Reactions: David99
Hello David, I found the wheels here as the other site is no longer.

Did you get the slots and if so why didn’t you add them?

Thanks

The pizza slices came a few days after I took the photos. I have them installed and after almost 20k miles on them, I'm still loving them. No issues.