Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Success story with FAST EV 18 inch wheeels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I saw someone else who installed these 18 inch wheels on their Model Y. I reached out to the company to verify these rims would fit over the larger brake calipers of my Y Performance. They weren't sure. I took the gamble and ordered them. Not only do they fit, they actually have plenty of clearance. There is about 1 cm of space. That's more clearance than some other 18 inch wheels for the Model Y.

The main reasons I went with them is the fact they have aero covers. Getting that little extra range is an advantage for me as I drive 60-80k a year and mostly freeways. The other reason was to have a little smoother ride. The Y Performance has a rather tight suspension. Technically the correct tire size for 18 inch rims is a 55 sidewall ratio. I decided to go a little extra and went with 235/60 18 tires. They fit just fine, no rubbing anywhere.

I have not been able to drive much with them so far. The ride quality is definitely better, but the jury is still out on that. I love how they look! (Aero covers are not installed yet)

(I'm not affiliated with them)

IMG_1123.JPGIMG_1124.JPGIMG_1125.JPGIMG_1127.JPG

do you think these would work on a Model Y LR?
Absolutely! Brakes are the same for both MYLR and MYP (Same front calipers at 355mm Rotors), they are NOT larger, just red. Rears are slightly different mid 2022 from Brembo Single Piston floating caliper in a red clamshell body to a Mando Single Piston floating caliper with a cover. Both 335mm rear rotors.

This wheel size is perfect for taller meaty tires. Should have been the factory wheel out the gate with options for plus sizing.

Quick update. I now have put on a few more miles on those wheels. Very happy with them. I have them inflated at 40 psi instead of the recommended 43 to get a little more comfort. Did a few longer drives and kept track of the efficiency. Very happy with them. At constant 68 mph on a dry freeway I can actually get very close to rated range. With my YP I actually get 290 miles of range (rated is 300) when driving 68 on the freeway. That's better than I expected. I highly recommend these wheels.

Reactions: android04 and KJD
Quick update. I now have put on a few more miles on those wheels. Very happy with them. I have them inflated at 40 psi instead of the recommended 43 to get a little more comfort. Did a few longer drives and kept track of the efficiency. Very happy with them. At constant 68 mph on a dry freeway I can actually get very close to rated range. With my YP I actually get 290 miles of range (rated is 300) when driving 68 on the freeway. That's better than I expected. I highly recommend these wheels.
You're actually exceeding 2024 EPA estimates (285mi) for the MYP now with those wheels. The MYLR is now rated at 310mi, so 290mi actual on an eco-18" setup makes sense.

Please clarify for me. Your OEM tire size is 255/35-21 (or 275 width), and the tires you have installed now are 235/60-18? The overall diameter is larger than the OEM size by 3.9% or 1.7% (front vs rear tires).

Additionally, your tire width is narrower which would also help reduce losses due to friction.

Please clarify for me. Your OEM tire size is 255/35-21 (or 275 width), and the tires you have installed now are 235/60-18? The overall diameter is larger than the OEM size by 3.9% or 1.7% (front vs rear tires).

Additionally, your tire width is narrower which would also help reduce losses due to friction.
Yes they are slightly larger than stock, but no issue. They clear the wheel well and suspension parts plenty. The speedometer can't be adjusted unfortunately.
You're actually exceeding 2024 EPA estimates (285mi) for the MYP now with those wheels. The MYLR is now rated at 310mi, so 290mi actual on an eco-18" setup makes sense.
To be fair, the EPA rating for the P is with 21 inch wheels. As far as I understand the Performance and Long Range versions have the same efficiency. The LR now has 310 rated range with the 19 inch wheels. I'm close. But then the EPA testing isn't at 68 mph driving. My car reports 300 miles of range when fully charged. With this setup I feel like it is doable without crawling on the freeway.

Are these cast or flow formed wheels?
I don't know. The weight rating was well above the MY fully loaded.

Picked up our MYLR, Stella, last month with almost 10% off sticker so they could move metal.

Love that you put Defenders on your MYP! We have had the Defender LTX on two Tahoes and where we drive we should have multiple flats but none, tho the LTX are 10 ply. The ride is exceptional too. Did you consider the LTXs, considering the weight of the Y? Was it an educated guess to get the 235/60-18 size, and if so do you think we could go with 235/65-18?

Thanks! Alex

Picked up our MYLR, Stella, last month with almost 10% off sticker so they could move metal.

Love that you put Defenders on your MYP! We have had the Defender LTX on two Tahoes and where we drive we should have multiple flats but none, tho the LTX are 10 ply. The ride is exceptional too. Did you consider the LTXs, considering the weight of the Y? Was it an educated guess to get the 235/60-18 size, and if so do you think we could go with 235/65-18?

Thanks! Alex
I drove about 5 k miles on them now. I noticed the energy consumption went down. I heard that is normal. New tires initially have a higher rolling resistance until they are 'broken in'.

I found someone's post here about this rim and tire combination on a Model Y so I knew it would work. The only thing unclear was the larger brakes of the P with the 18 inch wheels. But it worked out better than expected. Plenty of space.

Feeling around the tire in the wheel well there is plenty of space. There is one part of the suspension that is a little close to the tire but there is still about half an inch. I don't think a 65 side wall would cause an issue but someone would have to try it. There are some people very serious about off roading in their Model Ys. I bet there is someone who put on a 65 tire somewhere here or on YouTube.

I am by no means a tire expert. I picked these tires based on limited online reading.

Reactions: Tezla041
Hi David99,

thanks for sharing your experience with wheels.
I decided to go with the same wheel (black color) and 255/55 18.
I couldn’t get in touch with the seller, can you please share if those wheels require special lug nuts? Do you think the stock nuts will fit?