Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyers noob looking to get Michelin Cross Climate 2 for the Model Y SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm looking to get a Tesla Model Y Standard Range with 19-inch wheels next month. I'm super excited, but nervous about the tyres and have already decided that I would like to get a set of all seasons instead of the ones that will come with the car. I'm extremely new to the world of tyres and my research (from here amongst other places) has convinced me that the Michelin Cross Climate 2s are the ones to go for.

The only thing I am unsure about is that my understanding is that I should look to get 255/45/R19 XL tyers and I can't seem to find Cross Climate 2s in that exact spec. The closest ones I could find are 255/45 R18 XL, 255/55 R18 XL and 255/55 R19 XL. From what I've seen, other users are comfortable with having tyre sizes that are slightly different to the factory spec of their cars and from what I understand, all this leads to is a slight change in driving experience or loss of range, which I'm comfortable with in theory.

My question is, would either of the three specs that I mentioned above still work with the Tesla? If they would work but would just change the driving experience, can anyone share their insight into how those experiences may differ?

I appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

Thanks!
- Complete cars and tyres noob

Michelin does make the tires in 255/45r19. You might need to keep looking for other shops or ask a local shop if they can order it for you.

Found this: Michelin CrossClimate 2. Only £ 248.43

Two of the three options you listed are “r18,” and that means they’re for 18“ wheels, not 19” wheels. In order to use those two, you’d have to buy new 18” wheels.

The third has a larger aspect ratio, which will make it larger in overall diameter. It could fit in the wheel well (empty space of car where tire is mounted), might make rides softer and not likely to change the driving experience much. As a self proclaimed noob, would you notice? But it will definitely make the speedometer inaccurate. Something to keep in mind.

Upvote 0
Michelin does make the tires in 255/45r19. You might need to keep looking for other shops or ask a local shop if they can order it for you.

Found this: Michelin CrossClimate 2. Only £ 248.43

Two of the three options you listed are “r18,” and that means they’re for 18“ wheels, not 19” wheels. In order to use those two, you’d have to buy new 18” wheels.

The third has a larger aspect ratio, which will make it larger in overall diameter. It could fit in the wheel well (empty space of car where tire is mounted), might make rides softer and not likely to change the driving experience much. As a self proclaimed noob, would you notice? But it will definitely make the speedometer inaccurate. Something to keep in mind.
Thanks for your insight. You're right - as a noob I'm unlikely to notice, but I wouldn't want an inaccurate speedometer. Thanks for pointing me towards the CrossClimates in the right specs, though! I'll go for those instead :)

Upvote 0
Hi all, I'm looking to get a Tesla Model Y Standard Range with 19-inch wheels next month. I'm super excited, but nervous about the tyres and have already decided that I would like to get a set of all seasons instead of the ones that will come with the car. I'm extremely new to the world of tyres and my research (from here amongst other places) has convinced me that the Michelin Cross Climate 2s are the ones to go for.

The only thing I am unsure about is that my understanding is that I should look to get 255/45/R19 XL tyers and I can't seem to find Cross Climate 2s in that exact spec. The closest ones I could find are 255/45 R18 XL, 255/55 R18 XL and 255/55 R19 XL. From what I've seen, other users are comfortable with having tyre sizes that are slightly different to the factory spec of their cars and from what I understand, all this leads to is a slight change in driving experience or loss of range, which I'm comfortable with in theory.

My question is, would either of the three specs that I mentioned above still work with the Tesla? If they would work but would just change the driving experience, can anyone share their insight into how those experiences may differ?

Thanks!

Check out this thread ,as well as my own photos below. I'm in the US and I just purchased these tires in 255/45/19 yesterday. I wasn't aware that the wheels would be protruding out from the tire. It seems like the Cross Climate 2s are narrower than the factory continentals. Trying to research if it is safe to continue driving on the CC2s. Will the tires shift from edge to edge while cornering? I went on a spirited drive this morning and they seemed fine. Great traction and stability. Just not sure if I should continue running on these like this.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

Thanks!
If U are a member of Costco then U can get them there. Probably $800 for 4 , installed and out the door when on sales which they do several times a year

Upvote 0
Check out this thread ,as well as my own photos below. I'm in the US and I just purchased these tires in 255/45/19 yesterday. I wasn't aware that the wheels would be protruding out from the tire. It seems like the Cross Climate 2s are narrower than the factory continentals. Trying to research if it is safe to continue driving on the CC2s. Will the tires shift from edge to edge while cornering? I went on a spirited drive this morning and they seemed fine. Great traction and stability. Just not sure if I should continue running on these like this.
There's no safety issue, just cosmetic. The tire is seated in the bead of the wheel, so you're good.

It's unfortunate but there are variances in what a "255" width can mean, as well as sidewall thickness. I recall someone put a set of Bridgestone tires on their 19" Geminis recently and the sidewall was so narrow it looked like the tire was severely stretched. It drove fine, but it looked very weird.

Tesla original tires (T0, T1, T2) are made to fit the extremely wide factory wheels. When you get an aftermarket tire, it may not have the same manufacturer-specs to look or fit exactly as it should. Reading the thread you linked there is a lot of bad info - specifically the guy saying "it takes time for the tire to seat into the bead." It does not, and should not. If the tire isn't seated in the bead, you would know, and it would be extremely unsafe to drive. Once it pops in the bead, that's it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO, tires being sold at Costco should be more than OK because its liability is extremely important to large companies

#JohnB007 : what is your assessment of CC2 on your model Y/3. Please share
I've used CC2 for a while now. I even used the original CC on my previous cars.

These are near perfect for me but that's also because I am getting weaker and newer cars are using larger (heavier) tires... 😅

It's slightly noisier than OEM, has slightly less grip compare to X-Ice tires during the extreme winter weather, decent tread life, and slightly shorter ranges than the OEM but I'm done handling 8 tires. We travel down south quite a bit during the winter, so it is nice to not worry about huge temperature swing as we start at Ontario in Feb and eventually reach Carolina states or further south.

I currently use CC2 only as a winter tire on MY because the original tires still have some tread left but after this summer, all I"m going to use are CC2s unless better alternatives come out. It's also nice to be able to change tires at the tire shop when no one is swapping their tires.

Upvote 0
I've used CC2 for a while now. I even used the original CC on my previous cars.

These are near perfect for me but that's also because I am getting weaker and newer cars are using larger (heavier) tires... 😅

It's slightly noisier than OEM, has slightly less grip compare to X-Ice tires during the extreme winter weather, decent tread life, and slightly shorter ranges than the OEM but I'm done handling 8 tires. We travel down south quite a bit during the winter, so it is nice to not worry about huge temperature swing as we start at Ontario in Feb and eventually reach Carolina states or further south.

I currently use CC2 only as a winter tire on MY because the original tires still have some tread left but after this summer, all I"m going to use are CC2s unless better alternatives come out. It's also nice to be able to change tires at the tire shop when no one is swapping their tires.
(slightly less grip compare to X-Ice tires during the extreme winter weather)
X-Ice tires are rated as snow tires, right? If so its rubber compound is softer hence better stopping distance than those of non-snow tires.

The combination of heavy car + lower center of gravity + AWD of MYLR should allow great handling in snow. I don't drive my Y when it snows and we don't have much snow in Wilmington DE .

Upvote 0
(slightly less grip compare to X-Ice tires during the extreme winter weather)
X-Ice tires are rated as snow tires, right? If so its rubber compound is softer hence better stopping distance than those of non-snow tires.
Yes both are good for winters, but as usual, they made some compromise.

At -15C (5F), X-Ice still felt quite soft when you squeeze it, while a true 4-season tire felt very hard, and I was still able to squeeze CC2 rubber. I'm sure that helps somewhat.

Upvote 0
Yes both are good for winters, but as usual, they made some compromise.

At -15C (5F), X-Ice still felt quite soft when you squeeze it, while a true 4-season tire felt very hard, and I was still able to squeeze CC2 rubber. I'm sure that helps somewhat.
Thanks... to Those Chem.Eng or Polymer Scientists, we understand it as Tg or glass transition temp. That's why softer compounds are great for winter driving but they wear faster.

Upvote 0
I'm looking to get some 18" wheels and put Michelin CC2s on them, to replace my 19" Geminis when the tires get more worn down. Tsportline has 18" rims made for the Model Y, but they are around $2k with the TPMS sensors. Then probably another $1k for the CC2s. Anybody know of any place that sells made-for-Tesla 18" rims with the Michelin CC2s? Tsportline only has other tires/tire packages.

Upvote 0