Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will a low front plate (Partially covering intake vent) harm the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt that mounting a license plate in front of the vent will harm, especially since it's not flush against the vent. Aerodynamics dictate that the airflow will either rejoin behind the plate, or, if the plate is too close, will create a higher pressure wave on the sides. Unless they made the car with a small intake exactly behind the spot where you want the plate mounted, I seriously doubt there's going to be any issues.

You can also try this: Tesla Model 3 Tow Hook License Plate Mount » The Brainspike

• Informative
Reactions: 525SNAP
I doubt that mounting a license plate in front of the vent will harm, especially since it's not flush against the vent. Aerodynamics dictate that the airflow will either rejoin behind the plate, or, if the plate is too close, will create a higher pressure wave on the sides. Unless they made the car with a small intake exactly behind the spot where you want the plate mounted, I seriously doubt there's going to be any issues.

You can also try this: Tesla Model 3 Tow Hook License Plate Mount » The Brainspike
Thanks for your helpful scientific input! I might consider it now.

Tesla is all about functional design.. If there is an air intake into the battery, I wouldn't intentionally block it.
Well known that the louvers on the S are essential for battery health - the 3 just has air intakes

I wouldn't risk it. Looking at pictures of the air intake, a US plate would block a good 40% of it, the longer Euro plates probably even more. It will undoubtedly reduce airflow to the radiator.
Wow very helpful. A dissected image of the front of model 3. Thank you so much.

Seriously I'm hating my province (BC, canada) for requiring a front license plate. I might have to just shell out the expensive ottosteer magnetic mount now... OttoStick Tesla Model 3 Magnetic Front License Plate Holder

You know much more about the inner workings of model 3 than me, can you confirm that the magnetic one should be okay? since only the brackets go down to the intake.

Reactions: EfficientWatts
Who have you ‘heard’ this from? Hundred of people have the louver mount for the X and S for years with no issues. It’s not like an airtight seal. And an American plate is about a foot wide, no impact when the vent is the width of the car. I think the Canadian one is about the same size.

No issues from this sort of mount.

Does water get into the hole?

Who have you ‘heard’ this from? Hundred of people have the louver mount for the X and S for years with no issues. It’s not like an airtight seal. And an American plate is about a foot wide, no impact when the vent is the width of the car. I think the Canadian one is about the same size.

No issues from this sort of mount.
I admit that I only heard it from another model 3 owner, so I don't have scientific proof. Though it is right in front of the air intake. But you're right also that it technically shouldn't be a huge problem since airflow should go around the plate and converge behind it.

Thank you everyone for the insight.

Reactions: boaterva
Mainly looking at something like this No-Hole Tesla Model 3 Front License Plate Installation kit

I just hate any front plates that cover up the beautiful no grill look. But i've heard that plates like the above covers the air intake vent and could harm the cooling of batteries? Anyone more informed than me on the model 3 can advise me on this?

Thank you guys so much!

The lowered plate sitting in front of the grill spoils the look of front fascia, but it's just my opinion.
After reviewing the photos on their website, there is plenty of space behind the plate & should not have any air intake issues.

All the best!!