Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will all Model S Ravens get the range boost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the number that is used for your “rated” miles calculation. If you can drive exactly at that that reference notice the number to the right I was just referencing above will have the same mileage available as the one on your IC.

I do use the TRIP graph when I have a route set, but thankfully range only really needs taking into account on long routes.

When you think about it, how a range indication 'should' work is not at all obvious. Most important is that you don't want to run out of energy. Any other function is kind of a bonus.

If you drive down a long hill or on a journey that has little if any up hill and a tail wind, would it help any to have a predicted range of several thousand or even infinite miles? Equally, if you have just hauled up a mountain road for several miles, is it meaningful to suggest you overall range is 10 miles?

I'm not a pilot, but I guess several are on here and they will be very familiar with a similar issue when flying.

What does matter most is when going uphill you have enough energy to deal with the climb, so a pessimistic reading is safer. Coming downhill doesn't matter as much. And I think Tesla tends to assume that overall it works out about right.

Need to find a new description for your issue only charging to 98%. “Capped” is going to continue to throw everyone including me off. Capped refers to Tesla quietly making a 100kw battery 98kw but indicating to the end user(us) 100% charge at this 98kw number.
thereby capping the battery at 98kw leaving 2kw or so for the safety/longevity or wanting to hide the degradation over the initial life of the battery to us etc.....(depending on who or what you believe)
Could be several reasons people think they may be capping the battery. you can see this sometimes by charging to 100% and then driving the car and watching the IC readout miles stay fixed on the same number for quite a few miles before it starts to go down.

Sorry one last thing. The readout on IC of range is NOT based on any previous drive results or energy usage ......it is simple math. You cars designed hidden value for efficiency of range per mile. For example mine is about 295wh per mile if I recall. The mileage available and displayed is that number times to available kWh of battery power available. My 75kw battery has a range of 249 miles from the factory advertised. 249x295 is about 73kw.
sorry for any confusion......still pretty new here and sometimes I may get confused myself in trying to describe my situation...I have only charged to 100% one time but did not monitor anything.....my battery is type “F” and you are probably correct that they did that to defuse any issues later on....its just like when you fill up a gas car, you can ride for many miles before the gas gauge get off the full mark.....oh well....I’m still learning....thanks for the input

Absolutely. Welcome to the forums. I’m jealous of the newer cars. Like yours.
I’m biding my time until I can get a newer S. My 75 is fantastic but I want to be able to go on some longer road trips with the family without some of the range stress.
I’ve learned SO much from the folks here on this site.

Absolutely. Welcome to the forums. I’m jealous of the newer cars. Like yours.
I’m biding my time until I can get a newer S. My 75 is fantastic but I want to be able to go on some longer road trips with the family without some of the range stress.
I’ve learned SO much from the folks here on this site.
we will see now........2020.12 just released today and over 200 have received it....

Another "newbie" here - I pick up my S next Monday.

My iPad has the same thing - it will charge to 100% but stay there for half an hour when I switch it on, so maybe the "virtual" 100% trick is common for Li battery using things manufacturers.

I can't imagine that Tesla makes a great effort to overestimate range - the last thing They - or any EV manufacturer - wants is the publicity of stranded motorists. I will be interested in seeing how my S performs range-estimating wise!

The readout on IC of range is NOT based on any previous drive results or energy usage

Somethig has been niggling away in the back of my brain about this and I just realized what it was. If the energy / range estimate on the IC is "......NOT based on any previous drive results or energy usage.", then how does the car take into account the hugely different levels of battery performance depending on ambient temperature? In my other EV's, I can gain 10 miles either driving down a long hill or if the car is sitting on the driveway and warms up say from 8 deg C to 18 deg C.

Somethig has been niggling away in the back of my brain about this and I just realized what it was. If the energy / range estimate on the IC is "......NOT based on any previous drive results or energy usage.", then how does the car take into account the hugely different levels of battery performance depending on ambient temperature? In my other EV's, I can gain 10 miles either driving down a long hill or if the car is sitting on the driveway and warms up say from 8 deg C to 18 deg C.
It doesn’t use temperature as a variable in its calculation of the range remaining. That number you see on the IC “rated range” will simply decline at a faster rate if leave your house in -20c and start driving. It’s not a one for one mile. It depletes rapidly when the cars watt hour per mile is higher than the cars set “rated” number. Just like many new ICE that tells you, you have 400 miles remaining. That number is only true if you get the cars EPA mpg out of it. If you drive 90 mph of course you will only make it 300 miles.
search these forums for how the cars range is calculated and the math behind it. There are some very good posts on the subject.

I installed 2020.12 on my 2020 S LR (Oct build) and it did not change my 100% range estimate. I'm getting 359 at 100%, rated for 373.
yep......that's what I am getting with my 2020.12...........jan 2020 build........Tesla delivery told me I would get the LR+ update thru a software update free, but dont know when its going to be released......so with your build in Oct, you should ask them....especially of you have a rev "F" battery

• Informative
Reactions: azmodls
There are some very good posts on the subject.

Believe me, I have read them all!

I find it hard to take in that Tesla would bother with such a 'dumb' display.... IE one that shows a purely hypothetical range that depending on the time of year may have no relationship to the distance you can actually travel.

What is making it confusing is that my last two Ev's DO attempt to make a more realistic prediction of range including temperature and long term whr/m.

In those cars, the quoted miles per kwh (other way around from Tesla) drops to sub 3 in winter and climbs to around 4.5 in summer. As a result the displayed starting range varies from 130 miles in winter to 200 in summer from a 40kwh battery.

I suppose Tesla's approach is that the car attempts to manage the battery temperature so that the temperature has less effect on range, and I also accept that even with an ICE car, you don't really expect to get the range predicted when you've just filled the tank.

As pointed out, I guess the energy display does give a kind of moving average based on up to the past X miles, but to me there is a figure missing from the IC and that is my own personal predicted range based on my lifetime (or since last reset) moving average and current battery temperature.

I can see that when you are actively managing battery temperature, such a figure could be regarded as confusing too, and may be the point I'm missing is that range only really matters on long journeys and in those cases all these factors tend to balance out any way.

In some way, reading the many discussions here especially with so much focus on the range figure is what I've found confusing. In winter the car is considerably less efficient so I would expect it to be (smart) and give me a lower predicted range. If I drive 'efficiently' and other conditions are favorable, I would also expect the car to see that and take it into account when giving my estimated range.

Last edited:
In some way, reading the many discussions here especially with so much focus on the range figure is what I've found confusing. In winter the car is considerably less efficient so I would expect it to be (smart) and give me a lower predicted range. If I drive 'efficiently' and other conditions are favorable, I would also expect the car to see that and take it into account when giving my estimated range.

the problem with that would be. People like me turn the seat heater on level 1 and turn OFF the car heater(or turn way down) so that I can get my rated miles I need. I don’t mind a little coldness in the car anyway.
On the other hand someone like my wife or her parents drive their car and OMG they have to have the temp setting on 78-80 (kills me!) and of course the car uses more energy to get to that level and hence they come up 30 to 40 miles short of the range I get. Sometimes I get caught off guard and have to go somewhere in winter cold temps WITHOUT having time to “preheat” my battery and warm the interior for the trip. Then the car begins to heat the battery during the first half of the drive. This takes a lot of energy. Normally I remember to plan ahead and have the car finish charging (on shore power) right before I leave, so it’s already warm. But everyone does this different and some pay no attention to this at all.
All of these choices have HUGE impact on that mileage figure. OR
The car simply doesn’t know that it’s clear and sunny when you started your rode trip and that it’s going to be poring down an hour later thereby killing your range. Or that the route your driving towards the west in open country will have a 25 mph headwind. Those are things we have to keep in mind for our planning. The only thing the car can really do is give us a known start point that is accurate at least at that moment as a reference to work from. Then monitor the usage based on the “known” whr mile needed to achieve that mileage. The number your wanting is of course two clicks away on the energy chart. I think it’s the best system that can be done based on a few compromises.
Just my 2 cents. But I’ve learned in the last couple years of owning this car that it is great fun, but takes a little getting used to and a bit of a learning curve. it’s honestly no different than any ICE car in all of these scenarios, but we have grown accustomed to stopping anywhere we want to get some gas. No planning needed at all.

People like me turn the seat heater on level 1 and turn OFF the car heater(or turn way down) so that I can get my rated miles I need. I don’t mind a little coldness in the car anyway.

People like US. My heat never goes above 16 C.

But it feels odd that the displayed range is a 'very best case' with good luck and a following wind. It could easily be linked to driver profile and real performance history.

It really makes me think again about this 'range boost' deal. It seems that the 5% range increase could be no more than Tesla deciding they can justify over stating the range a bit further.

Makes me wonder why they don't just display the quoted range at 100% and interpolate down to zero, regardless of reality.

Good thing that the range is decent.

I understand there are factors in calculating this hypothetical Miles per full charge situation but as i am quarantined I decided to fully charge my TESLA and I am not even getting the rated 373 miles at full it says 359mi and I only have 3200 miles on the car :)

I understand there are factors in calculating this hypothetical Miles per full charge situation but as i am quarantined I decided to fully charge my TESLA and I am not even getting the rated 373 miles at full it says 359mi and I only have 3200 miles on the car :)
that is the norm now until tTesla decides to put out the update to all the LR + owners from Jan 2020 and on.....only a few X’s have the update now....form what I can see here and talking to Tesla, they are waiting for something to do with the govt paperwork...we’ll see.....sometimes I do not think Tesla’s right have knows what the left hand is doing