Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will AP/EAP transfer automatically after computer replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a 2018 M3, would AP or EAP automatically transfer after a computer replacement? My free premium connectivity transferred but not sure if the M3 had AP or EAP as the MCU would crash repeatedly before replacement.
Basic AP is standard and does not require any kind of transfer or special configuration. However, EAP and FSD capability are optional paid features. I think a quick way to check what Tesla thinks you have is to go to the Upgrades section in your Tesla app. Things like EAP or FSD, that you don't already have, will be offered to you there. As @KArnold said, the computer swap shouldn't affect features that were already attached to the car in Tesla's configuration records. There is a small possibility that said configuration could get altered by a Tesla employee mistake during the service, but I think this is quite rare.

So no, you shouldn't lose anything. However, if you don't really know what your car had before the computer upgrade, then it might be hard to absolutely confirm what it had before unless you have clear past records.

By far, most of the cases of people claiming to have lost FSD after buying I used Tesla are due to
a) simple confusion between the sticker listing "FSD computer" hardware, which is standard, vs. "FsD Capability" which is a purchased add-on,
b) the used car having been traded in to Tesla and subsequently sold to a dealer through the auction network, in which case any purchased EAP or FSD software configuration is normally removed by Tesla during their brief ownership of the traded-in car. Normally, the only way FSD stays with a used car is if it's sold from one party to another outside of the Tesla organization.

I'd expect it will just show up. You are not sure what you have?
No, computer died immediately after picking up the car. Tesla replaced it, 3rd party paid for it. I had it less than 24 hours and in that time the MCU was not functioning consistently
Basic AP is standard and does not require any kind of transfer or special configuration.
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it is standard in my 2018 M3. It shows up as a 3k purchase.

What does it show when you click on the vehicle out on the Tesla web site under your account Tesla SSO - Sign In and then select the Details link under your vehicle's VIN? The same info is available in the phone app by scrolling to the bottom of the page on your vehicle and selecting "Specs & Warranty".
It doesn't list anything special, including the free premium connectivity that I know I have though.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it [Basic Autopilot] is standard in my 2018 M3. It shows up as a 3k purchase.
I don't have a long enough history with Tesla to know that detail, nor how they handle the feature in 2018 cars that didn't originally have the HW3 autopilot computer. Reading from Wikipedia, it seems that the history of pricing supports what you just said.

If you've ended up with an upgraded HW3 computer after a paid repair, it would sure be nice to find that it includes the Basic Autopilot as well, but I have no idea what the policy is. It's also possible that there are additional camera upgrades needed to bring you completely up to snuff, and maybe some of that would be covered if you purchase basic Autopilot or Enhanced Autopilot. There are other users here who know these older-model details much better than I do.

Out of curiosity, what was the cost of the third party repair bill? Also, if you go to your Upgrades app page, what are all the things listed there, and their prices?

Back in 2018, when I purchased my Model 3, the base configuration was plain old manual cruise control and no automatic steering. Enhanced Autopilot was $5k and FSD was an extra $3k on top of EAP. As mentioned by the previous post, Tesla later made AP standard and then FSD an option on top of that, eventually also allowing you to get the EAP option.

It sure sounds like your vehicle didn’t get any AP/EAP/FSD option purchased or bundled with it. My 2018 Model 3 lists Enhanced Autopilot under the details on both the web site and in the app. Mine doesn’t list the grandfathered free Premium Connectivity in the web site or the app, but does have it on the software tab on the in-car display.