Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Bosch charging station work with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Bosch EL-51253 Power Max 30 Amp Electric Vehicle Charging Station for my Ford plugin hybrid now. Will this work with the tesla model 3? Do I have to modify the charging plug or replace the whole thing?

Power Max - Level 2 Charging Station | EV Charger

It certainly will. I own two of those so I'm in twice as much trouble as you if not!

Seriously, the J1772 adapter is all that is required.

Great units BTW, no issues with mine ever in 3 years.

RT

Thanks guys. Going to order an extra one. Any thoughts on replacing my Bosch charger with the Tesla Wall Charger? Any benefits in doing so?
Two small benefits I can think of. One, assuming you have the wiring and breaker for it, is you can charge at 48 A (need a 60A breaker and appropriate wiring gauge). Two, the plug on the Wall Charger will open the charging door for you. Without it, you have to open it manually. Both pretty minor advantages. Oh, and three, it looks cooler.

I'm in the same situation, and I am planning to replace the charger with a HPWC, but my reason is that we're keeping the Leaf, so I want to run two wall chargers off the same breaker, and then use an adapter or modified plug to charge the Leaf on the Tesla charger instead of vice-versa.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and gavine
Two small benefits I can think of. One, assuming you have the wiring and breaker for it, is you can charge at 48 A (need a 60A breaker and appropriate wiring gauge). Two, the plug on the Wall Charger will open the charging door for you. Without it, you have to open it manually. Both pretty minor advantages. Oh, and three, it looks cooler.

I'm in the same situation, and I am planning to replace the charger with a HPWC, but my reason is that we're keeping the Leaf, so I want to run two wall chargers off the same breaker, and then use an adapter or modified plug to charge the Leaf on the Tesla charger instead of vice-versa.
I have both. The bosch is remnant from our BMW i3 ownership. We thought about using the wiring from the bosch, but wire gauge was too low to go from a 40 amp to 60 amp—so we kept the bosch and also have the HPWC. Bosch works great with J1772 but very slow for our model X (17 miles charge per hour vs 30 miles charge oer hour).

We now have multiple teslas, so we installed the HPWC since it charges so much faster. One suggestion for you to futureproof the charger...you should wire it for a 100A breaker (if you can). You never know if and when you’ll get another Tesla (maybe as a loaner, maybe you upgrade) but that will allow you charge at a much higher rate without much marginal cost.

I’m actually getting 28mph charge with the Bosch. Very happy with the rate of charge.

6EE5B397-3993-4F72-9149-CDABE3F1C299.png

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I'm only getting 20 mph with the Bosch I use at work. I get 45 mph at home with the HPWC.
Yeah, if you charge with fewer volts and amps you will get less energy added. What’s your point?
Your work charging station is likely on a 208V circuit, and supplies 30A.
Your home HPWC is on a 240V circuit, and as you said supplies 48A on a 60A circuit.
You can do the math.

And my point is it’s probably because he is charging at a higher voltage at home than you do at work.

The first time I charged at a 40A HPWC at a hotel, I was surprised how much slower it was than my home 40A HPWC. Then I realized that @208V it’s only about 8kW vs 9.6kW at home with 240V. At the time, I thought 40A was 40A, not realizing charge speed is about total watts, calculated by amps times volts.