Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Cybertruck get better range with "street" wheels and tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they're making their range estimate based on the prototype wheels and tires? They look very sturdy and off-road capable, but overkill and likely very inefficient for most users. Most pickups I've seen have fairly normal road tires for regular use. A street wheel/tire package is probably lighter, quieter and have less friction. So if we fit aftermarket wheels and tires, it seems like we might get an even longer range that advertised.

I'm hoping that they'll also publish range while towing soon. On the Model X its really only good to tow around town as with a trailer of 4,000 lbs on the hitch the range is down under 100 miles. Hoping the CyberTruck won't suffer the same range reduction...

Chances of them publishing range with off-road tires is nil Tesla isn't exactly known for "under promise over deliver".

Far as towing range hard to do that without an aerodynamic standard for the load.

The fixation here with wheel weight and affect on range is laughable. Yes it matters, but less so in an EV with regenerative braking. It also matters less at steady cruise where "range" comes into play rather than stop and go which is where frequent acceleration of excess mass could waste energy as would your ability to time things right with Regen and not rely on friction brakes. I would prefer to see people refer to wheel weight in stop and go conditions as more of an efficiency thing rather than range. Range implies long distance and hopefully we aren't doing that in stop and go conditions.

We don't know if the rating is with the off-road tires or not as it is, and won't know until likely next year.

As far as towing range they can't publish towing range before hand because every situation is different. Though they have stated that the computer will figure it out and display a properly calibrated for the conditions range.

And that you can buy ceramic wheel bearings that add 17% range.

Are you getting a kickback from Titan or just unwilling to admit you oversold the benefits of a light wheel to yourself so now you double down and try and sell it to everyone?

For background.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...eels-and-efficiency-gain.175529/#post-4441417

In simple terms on wheel weight if rim weight reduction was such a huge singular factor we wouldn't have seen Arachnids which I think saved 34lbs rotating weight overall sell for $2700 here so often especially since they came with $1600 on tires, and $200 worth of sensors. Where are all the posts about how Arachnids added range? That would be real proof vs. a few random posts by people trying to prove a conclusion they decided on before buying and testing.

I can not find the thread where a salesman was claiming 17% range increase with his magic wheel bearings. I wanted to include it as an example of how people can convince themselves of all kinds of things.

It's actually a great thread... it started with this question "Coming from a P3D+. I'm curious what shaving the 20inch wheels to the 18inch titan 7 wheels, will gain me in efficiency? That's about a 10lb weight savings of rotational mass per wheel.

Tesla Model S and Model X: Here's how wheel size can affect efficiency - Electrek

• 4.9% more consumption for Model S P100D with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 5.2% more consumption for Model S P90D with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 11.6% more consumption for Model S 60/75 with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 11.8% more consumption for Model S 60D/75D/90D with 21″ vs 19″ wheels.
  • 22.2% more consumption for Model X P90D with 22″ vs 20″ wheels.
  • 22.5% more consumption for Model X 60D/75D/90D with 22″ vs 20″ wheels.
  • 23.3% more consumption for Model X P100D with 22″ vs 20″ wheels

Known Facts:
The 21 Arachnids were measured against $9000 wheels that weighted about the same as the Arachnids, verses the boat anchor stock 21 inch turbines in your reference.
Lighter wheels help with handling, steering feel, braking, with the rotational mass reduction (if you are going to buy aftermarket, why not get this benefit too, verses the same tech that came on the car)
Aero wheels help with range, which is why they use they weird covers on the Model 3
smaller diameter wheels help with range.
Tires make a difference on range (summer sports = less range, low rolling resistance = more range)
This car is heavy and cracks larger diameter wheels frequently in daily driver environments (just ask as the SC and see all the spares they have laying around the shop)
Ceramic bearings do help, but it's more like 0.17% increase.
Weather makes a difference in range
weight makes a difference in range
driving style makes a difference in range

I don't work for Titan, Martian, SV, TSportline, CarbonRev, ESECarbon or any of the vendors, just appreciate high quality stuff and won't buy non-forged boat anchors that have been proven to crack in the larger diameter form factor (21's on the S, 22's on the X, 20's on the Model 3) with the weight of this car when used in daily driver situations. I ran the group buy for Titan's on this forum and didn't even get any for my car, they wanted to go Model 3 first, which I decided not to buy once I saw the battery warranty was limited to 100K(SR/MR) /125K(LR).

For the record I have had an order in with these guys for quite a while, 19 inch Carbon Fiber Composite Wheels and also looking to buy Martian Wheels, for my wife's S.

Its a free market, buy whatever you like... I just like light and like they way they feel when I drive, I also like smaller diameter, verses the high heel 21's on my S and yes my range increased with smaller, lighter wheels. We dumped our 21's on all three Model S's we have owned, 21's suck, it's proven, it's like having long finger nails, ask any of the ladies, they look great, but they crack, split, get their coatings get rubbed off, are expensive and eat tires like an alcoholic chugs beer and generally just suck for functional use in daily driving.

For the Cybertruck, I will wait and see what it comes with before I make any comments, but I am pretty sure those wheels are also flow formed, which means they are porous, and the strength to weight ratio will be low, unless they bulk them up which adds more weight to the steering feel on an already heavy vehicle which my guess is ~6000+ unladen weight for the CyberTruck, especially the Tri-motor ones with with 500 mile range battery, which is probably closer to ~7000+ unladen.

Lunch is over - back to work.