Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will it be bad to be early adopters of Roadsters?

Will the early adopters feel disappointed over time?

• Yes, based on the Tesla's pricing trend, it would be wiser to wait.

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • No, Roadster will be different from S, X, 3 and will not disappoint the early adopters.

Votes: 33 52.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has been disappointing many early adopters, with the recent Model 3's significant price drop and FSD pricing.

In the past, some owners who bought days before the advent of the AP2, Dual Motors, and Battery Upgrade 9K (later became like 2K or free) were definitely not happy and you can search those giant threads.

Just extrapolating here whether Roadster 2020 will be in the similar situation.

I feel the people who buy the car in the price range of $250K may not care as much, I am afraid similar stuffs might happen again possibly with price reduction and other features such as FSD for much less price than itinially proposed. That can anger the some early buyers.

So some Tesla enthusiasts and owners may caution to wait for price reduction. Imagine $200K base roadster suddenly becomes $150K one day because maybe sales are not strong for that quarter. I know it may not perturb very wealthy but there will be some who may feel not happy at all, especially if they buy it just a few nights before the announcement.

Will Tesla repeat again?

I have thought about this also.

Not because of price change but giving Tesla a chance to get some cars on the road and work out any bugs.

I have money down now but thinking about waiting untill the car has been out a few years to buy.

Incidentally, the original Roadster went up in price before the first one was even delivered. Those who had already put in their deposits got it for the original, lower price. If you really want the best deal, you can wait two or three more years before picking up a used one. Depreciation on cars in this category tends to be pretty severe. (But obviously there are down sides to that as well.)

The Roadster saw some improvements and refreshes during its production, but they were a mixed bag. Some were clear improvements (dash and controls), others were dubious cost-cutting measures (revised PEM and TPMS), some were a matter of taste (restyled nose). There were no clear winners or losers.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Brando
Did you ever buy a computer? Didn't the price fo down and a better one was available just after you got it?

I've had my Model 3 for over 9 months, and the price has dropped pretty significantly, even with tax credit changes.

But you know what? I've had my Model 3 for 9 months. I was one of the few on the road.

Actually, I've always expected the price to go down as the tax credits disappeared.

So, don't order a roadster early, don't be the envy of everyone around you.

Tesla has been disappointing many early adopters, with the recent Model 3's significant price drop and FSD pricing.

In the past, some owners who bought days before the advent of the AP2, Dual Motors, and Battery Upgrade 9K (later became like 2K or free) were definitely not happy and you can search those giant threads.

Just extrapolating here whether Roadster 2020 will be in the similar situation.

I feel the people who buy the car in the price range of $250K may not care as much, I am afraid similar stuffs might happen again possibly with price reduction and other features such as FSD for much less price than itinially proposed. That can anger the some early buyers.

So some Tesla enthusiasts and owners may caution to wait for price reduction. Imagine $200K base roadster suddenly becomes $150K one day because maybe sales are not strong for that quarter. I know it may not perturb very wealthy but there will be some who may feel not happy at all, especially if they buy it just a few nights before the announcement.

Will Tesla repeat again?
To me the poll is too vague. I would vote "wait to buy" based on bugs, early build teething issues, not for the reasons you stated. Your post implies that the spirit of the post is just about improvements, when to buy and pricing.

I do not know why Tesla gets singled out here on the upgrades and pricing. There are some valid criticisms about the way Tesla has handle somethings, but why this? Someone, somewhere is always going to be in the batch of cars that are released right before an upgrade. I completely understand the frustration but why is it's Tesla fault? It's bad timing, misfortune and disappointing but logically how can some one hold Tesla responsible for disappointment in *most of these cases? They are publicly traded, they have to meet certain expectations. They can't talk up upgrades so much they have to pay to sell existing cars. Are they not supposed to change pricing based on supply and demand, remaining stock, .etc ?

I'm more concerned about real tangible issues like initial build quality. Who is going to care about an upgrade if the trim pops off, or there are rattles, etc.etc.

It's all about what your expectations are. Most people know products are constantly improved, you buy when you buy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I want it the day it becomes available. I've owned a Tesla since 2015. I know what it feels like to have the P90D launch before I even took delivery of my P85D! And what it feels like to have a 100D w/ FSD from September that would cost significantly less five months later. But every day I've driven the Tesla I'm thrilled. There's no other car I've owned that provides the joy of the Tesla. Bring on the Founder's Roadster - I'll take whatever disappointment comes with it!!!!!

Everyone except Tesla and NIssan (Renault in EU) complain about not making profits. So, it seems others are waiting for their battery costs (both cells and pack = $100/kW ??). So I predict that only Tesla will continue to lower prices while other makers will lobby governments to delay EV adoption (add in Koch brother and other big oil companies - and who knows how many politicians will be bought off). Nissan CEO Ghosn spent +90 days in jail and now on $9 million bail and Japan has a 99% conviction rate what will he do? Think Japan would like to delay EVs too? Even to delay adoption to give companies time to build battery/pack factories.

So FUD will grow yet again against Tesla. Hopefully Elon can just keep gaining market share. Almost 1% and trending up.
All you owners keep showing your cars and when people actually drive/ride the buyers will drive the EV market toward Tesla (which is still the best EV made (for the money) so far.

Of course all speculation on my part - interesting to see how it all actually unfolds. WWIII or big economic collapse or environmental collapse or trade wars or Iran and Venezuela (any other oil deposits to go after?) regime changes are the wild cards.

Be nice to your friends and neighbors, stick together against the government, good luck to all.
Watching Tesla grow.

Upgrading to Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
The Tesla Team March 1, 2019

All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.

Autopilot, which enables automatic steering, accelerating and braking, normally costs $4,000 after delivery and Full Self-Driving normally costs $7,000 after delivery. Full Self-Driving capability includes Navigate on Autopilot, Advanced Summon, Auto Lane Change, Autopark and, later this year, will recognize and respond to traffic lights.

Any customer who bought a Tesla prior to this week’s price adjustment will be able to upgrade to Autopilot for $2,000 or Full Self-Driving capability for an additional $3,000 (those who previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot and want to upgrade to Full-Self Driving capability only pay $2,000). In other words, for a customer who previously hadn’t purchased Autopilot plus Full Self-Driving, they will soon be able to do so for $6,000 less than before. Customers who previously purchased Full Self-Driving will receive an invitation to Tesla’s Early Access Program (EAP). EAP members are invited to experience and provide feedback on new features and functionality before they are rolled out to other customers.

Beginning next month, any existing customer who wants to upgrade to Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability will be able to do so with a one-click payment. There will be no need to call anyone, and it will be as easy as it was to order your car in the first place.

============================
Seems to me, IMHO, that Tesla treats customers better than most other car makers.
But I only think I know what I have read and heard from others. But Tesla seems to try to treat everyone fairly and obviously with over 40,000 employees they can't be even close to perfect. Keep cool and ask for what you think is fair. [Shouting probably doesn't help but you knew that and finding a helpful person isn't always easy. Don't expect to get a non-refundable payment back. ]

Reactions: Seven7
I am keeping my FS Roadster reservation for a few reasons.
  • They are "working out the kinks" now as they make more cars. The company is a learning machine, so don't worry as much about any big changes the way we have seen with earlier models when the company was and is still very much in learning mode.
  • The price may rise and I expect we would be rewarded for our early deposits and original price will be honored.
  • There is at least some chance they will just make the car and stop forever. This let's them give the "smackdown" to all gas cars and then they would go back to high volume production cars. If this happens you have a $1.5 million car.
  • You only live once. You have a chance to be one of the only people in the world with the fastest car ever made. Even billionaires will have to get behind you in line. Maybe you can seel one of them your car if you hold strong.
Only a risk of bankruptcy will get me out of my reservation.

Reactions: hbouw
There is at least some chance they will just make the car and stop forever. This let's them give the "smackdown" to all gas cars and then they would go back to high volume production cars. If this happens you have a $1.5 million car.

I'll admit to being curious about what kinds of production numbers they expect. With the original Roadster only the first 100 were Founders Series, and they were only able to produce about 500 per year. Total production was capped at 2,500 both for homologation reasons and by the terms of their contract with Lotus. With the new Roadster slated for 1,000 units of Founders Series alone, that implies a much, much higher production level than before.

I'll admit to being curious about what kinds of production numbers they expect. With the original Roadster only the first 100 were Founders Series, and they were only able to produce about 500 per year. Total production was capped at 2,500 both for homologation reasons and by the terms of their contract with Lotus. With the new Roadster slated for 1,000 units of Founders Series alone, that implies a much, much higher production level than before.
I was astounded at the electric super/hyper cars in Geneva auto show. search for your self below just one example:
Storied Pininfarina to launch new line of exotic electric cars

And how many electric SUV/CrossOvers will we have by 2020 ?
Examples of coming electrics:
These 9 Electric Cars Are Set to Rival Tesla