Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will not auto lock when parked at work since too close to home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked this before I think. It was driving me nuts why it wouldn't work but I realized because my office is maybe 200 yards from my home that this caused it not to activate. I'm thinking of setting my home address a block farther away from work so that it can start working but wondering if anyone knows the distance away it should start working? It seemed to be intermittent even almost a mile away. I'll experiment with various addresses farther down the street and see. It just occurred to me to try that since it's irritating I can't use the function and my car auto locks while in my garage as I walk around to the other side.

I will sometimes park in a detached garage that is less than 100 yards from main home garage. The address displayed in the app is several house numbers away, yet it still doesn't auto lock. One tap of the app as I'm walking towards the main house. Done.

Why not just keep it simple and not exclude home and work from walk away lock?
That's the issue, as I mentioned it is not set to exclude home so it locks right behind me all the time when I don't want it to lock. My question is trying to figure a way to avoid that. It's more complicated to me to keep it that way since you need to then unlock it again. It would be simple if it worked and didn't lock in my garage but I leave it that way for now.

I hate to be that guy, but if your car thinks your work is the same place as your home, why are you driving?
I don't work 9-5p at an office 200 yards away or yeah I'd agree. I just go into the office usually on the way to a client or run errands so not so much as a clocking in type thing or for sure I'd never drive. I don't have the work address set in my car so maybe if I set it then it will lock at work. It was just so irritating to take my phone out of my pocket, hit the app then lock it every time since I keep going in and out a couple times a day.

Reactions: LoudMusic
A workaround would be to get into the habit of tapping the lock icon on the car's screen before you get out of the car at work.
I was doing that for a while but since my work is the place I drive to most of all it was an annoyance and slightly less annoying was having it lock in my garage so the lesser of two evils is to just let it lock in my garage. It's just once in a while when I walk downstairs that I say "dohhhhh" and have to run back upstairs to get my phone. Maybe I'll leave the second tesla card in the garage for just that reason and not worry about it. I'm going to use an address a block away and see if that works.

Update: Googled and found it's been a discussed issue even with Tesla but probably not a high priority to fix. Their distance to home before it operates is really large.
I set a new home address to half a mile from my home in the opposite direction from my office and it seems to work. The drawback will be if I happen to park near that other home address will I forget to lock my car, probably not, but it's possible. I did find when I updated the address for home that it didn't start using that address unless I drove and parked.