Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla be bringing big updates after Jan 1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NOTE: Title should be "Will Tesla be bringing big updates after Jan 1"
  1. Given lifetime free supercharging will be finishing up 1/1/17, does anyone speculate there'll be big changes coming? If not, wouldn't there be a sweet spot now where you can get FSDC and lifetime free supercharging?
  2. For current MS/MX owners who have access to lifetime free supercharging, if they sell their vehicle, does that right cancel or pass to the new purchaser? I'd expect these vehicles would be worth slightly more?

Pretty sure the 100D will show up then.

Kinda expecting some pricing adjustments, too.

We know there are still some surprises from the 3 which might make their way into the S/X at some point (HUD?) after the next unveiling event (early spring?)

Yes, Tesla will be updating their cars every quarter.

I think for the majority, lifetime free supercharging really isn't worth that much. Probably a few hundred a year max.

I highly doubt this is how the pricing would work out, but I'd take a 100D with no unlimited supercharging over a 90D with unlimited at the same price.

I think for the majority, lifetime free supercharging really isn't worth that much. Probably a few hundred a year max.

Yeah, I do about 5,000km a year on road trips. Assuming 200w/km and 25c/kwhr, would be $250/pa.

But, there's just something cool about knowing it's free*.

Overall though, I think the move to a charge for use basis is a terrific move. Will save clogging up the system when M3 deliveries start.

*(Well, of course it's not free, it's factored into the acquisition price of the vehicle, but you catch my drift).

Assuming a 100D gets 330-340 rated miles, I've estimated that for our typical annual road trips, we likely would stay within the free ~1000 miles of free SC charging per year, and only exceed it if we decided to take a long road trip (like the 2500+ mile trip we took last summer). So while I was initially concerned charging for more than 1000 miles per year, I'm not sure it will actually have an impact on our purchasing decision.

However, compared to our fully loaded "classic" P85, a fully loaded 90D is already $10K more - and if they further increase the price for the 100D, I'm not sure we're prepared to spend over $120K for a fully loaded 100D...