Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla inhibit remarketing of Powerwall 2 referral prizes?

Will Tesla inhibit remarketing of referral Powerwall 2 prizes?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent the following email 4 days ago to [email protected]:

"I’d like to know if Tesla could consider allowing winners of the Powerwall 2 to instead of accepting the Powerwall, receive a credit for $$$ against a future purchase of some other product from Tesla, for instance in our case a Model X. In our situation we simply have no use for a Powerwall. Our house already has a backup generator, and solar is unsuitable because the roof is cedar shake, and in any event lacks large unobstructed south-facing exposures.

Can Tesla please help?"

No reply yet.

I sent the following email 4 days ago to [email protected]:

"I’d like to know if Tesla could consider allowing winners of the Powerwall 2 to instead of accepting the Powerwall, receive a credit for $$$ against a future purchase of some other product from Tesla, for instance in our case a Model X. In our situation we simply have no use for a Powerwall. Our house already has a backup generator, and solar is unsuitable because the roof is cedar shake, and in any event lacks large unobstructed south-facing exposures.

Can Tesla please help?"

No reply yet.
So, here's my lead: Will Tesla permit remarketing of referral Powerall 2 prizes?

So, hear me out here... I think that there's several valid reasons why Tesla might have controls which would inhibit or prevent Powerwall 2 referral prize winners from remarketing or transferring ownership of the Powerwall 2.

Here's the factors which make me think Tesla might inhibit the Founders Edition Powerwall 2 gray market:
-To date, Tesla is only distributing the Powerwalls through their authorized/trained installer network. I dont see them being available through retailers so that an 'off the street' electrician could install it. Given that, how would a third party recipient of a prize Powerwall be able to install the Powerwall?
-Given that the Powerwall functionality is closely tied to your My Tesla account and the Tesla app, how would a third party recipient complete the 'setup' of the Powerwall?
-Given that there's a pretty hefty accessorial cost (materials, Gateway), labor, shipping, and inspections that Tesla will probably subsidize with this prize, I dont see Tesla incentivized heavily to facilitate a gray market which would only serve to attrit their actual retail sales.
-This prize is fundamentally different from most of the prior prizes in that this prize directly competes with multiple Tesla / Solar City profit centers.
They called me today and said it includes a $1000 "install credit" which should cover most installs, unless you need to dig a trench or add a sub panel, then that's extra.

They are only allowing Solarcity crews to do the install. They told me I can't just get it delivered without the install.
How did you make out with your powerwall install? Did you take delivery or have a work around?

I received a redemption email yesterday for the Powerwall prize from this latest round of the referral program (for my 4 referrals). But I haven't received any redemption email for the Powerwall from the program ended about a year ago (January 15 2017). The one from a year ago was supposed to be signed by Musk et al. Has anyone heard anything about the year old Powerwall?

They will however award you a $5,500 credit that can be used on anything Tesla Motors, not Tesla Energy (which was odd...)
There's probably more margin on a new Tesla Motors vehicle as opposed to a single Powerwall 2... i.e. Giving away $5.5k of Tesla Energy might be a net loss, but $5.5k of Model S / X still drives a positive P&L impact for that quarter...

Kbra, do you have an email for the Tesla Powerwall Inside Sales Manager? I have the referral and would definitely like to get the $5,500 Tesla Motors credit. I am debating on putting it either towards EAP or possibly buying the 4 year extended warranty and putting the remainder towards the 4 year maintenance plan.