Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Motors reach 2010?

Will Tesla Motors survive until 2010?

• Yes

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I voted 'yes', but after reading the other comments I think I want to qualify that 'yes'. I feel that Tesla will survive, but I believe there is a likelihood that they will have to change their business model.

The Model S has been such a moving target (literally!) that we may never see the Whitestar and Bluestar in production. Instead of becoming "the Next Great American Car Company", they may shift focus to drive train development and continue to produce high-end low-volume sports cars. Something like that would stay true to Elon's goal of doing something to rid our dependance on oil, capitalize on the company's core compentency, and remove them from direct competition with the big automakers.

Here's my take: gas is temporarily cheap. Financing is temporarily (?) expensive. But, the recent swing in gas prices has people skittish. It's not going to take much of an upswing to reaffirm that things have to change, and, as we all know, ethanol and clean coal are a scam, and hydrogen just plain doesn't make sense as a battery alternative. IP surrounding electric drive-trains is going to be valuable, and can be leveraged into financing once financing loosens up or gas starts swinging towards $4/gal. Obviously, the government loans would be a quicker boot than waiting around, but as long as Tesla makes it to cash-flow positive, I think they'll make it in some form or another.

What I hope for, of course, is that the gas tax is raised, gas hits $4/gal by late spring, Tesla gets the loans...

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this thread seemed appropriate. This just appeared on one of the Tesla Motors website blogs:

"Sharon Torres wrote on March 3rd, 2009 at 8:00 pm
In 1972 my father had a dream about Tesla Motors. He scribbled Tesla Motors down on a piece of paper along with any thing he could remember about the dream. I was 19 years old when he gave me the piece of paper and told me not to forget the name and search for the company. I’m now 56 and my father passed away 14 years ago. I have been following Tesla Motors for years. This company’s future will be phenomenal. The world will be forever grateful to Tesla for their dedication and vision of a better future. Thanks for the ride! "

I think I hear the Twilight Zone theme playing in the background....

Seems creepy. But considering Nikola Tesla invented the AC Induction motor, it wouldn't be uncommon for someone imagine a Tesla motor company. Note she doesn't mention whether the "Tesla Motors" in her father's dream had anything to do with cars.

Still, if it was my dad, I'd save my pennies until Tesla goes public.