Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla need to retrofit side facing cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
human vision is entirely different from fixed cameras.

pan/tilt and maybe even zoom is useful. arguably, even needed. nd (neut density) also needed.

eyes have lids and can self-clean. tesla cams can't self clean.

they are under-equipped with sensors. they care about price point. that's obvious, else they'd have included lidar and more cams.

Make three right turns instead? Make a right turn then a U-turn?

I don't think that would work for a publicly released product. It would very annoying to be riding in your FSD Tesla where it has to take the long way around, instead of just making one left turn. I imagine a lot of owners would just disengage, do the left turns themselves and then re-engage FSD.

human vision is entirely different from fixed cameras.

pan/tilt and maybe even zoom is useful. arguably, even needed. nd (neut density) also needed.

eyes have lids and can self-clean. tesla cams can't self clean.

they are under-equipped with sensors. they care about price point. that's obvious, else they'd have included lidar and more cams.
Yet windows get fogged up and have rain on and we only have wipers on the front windscreen just like the camera system...

I wonder if they could put two cameras in the front fender blinkers. One that looks back as is and one that looks to the side and transmit the data from both over the same wire and use the pillar camera as a secondary for when the new one is blinded. Since we want "better than human" install those cameras as far forward as possible. Many security cameras use more than one camera sensor and stitch them together into one view.

Someone install two GoPro cameras on their car, one on the pillar and one near the fender camera, and record a couple hard to see turns and look at the difference. Not sure how hard it would be the duplicate the FOV.

the goal of the m3 and my is a LOWER COST car compared to the flagships.

I think that was the real MO going on. that, and they mis-planned how much was needed in their flagship and so that locked their future, didn't it? you can't have the new cheap cars being better, sensor wise, than the S and X. and those are also starved for sensor input/diversity.

time will tell, but I'm betting that this current design will NOT achieve anything more than it does today, in the wide release. the betas will never get public release since they are not safe for wide deployment and without more sensors, the job just CANNOT BE DONE.

again, people having their ego wrapped up in someone else's design. too funny!

I wonder if they could put two cameras in the front fender blinkers. One that looks back as is and one that looks to the side and transmit the data from both over the same wire and use the pillar camera as a secondary for when the new one is blinded. Since we want "better than human" install those cameras as far forward as possible. Many security cameras use more than one camera sensor and stitch them together into one view.

Someone install two GoPro cameras on their car, one on the pillar and one near the fender camera, and record a couple hard to see turns and look at the difference. Not sure how hard it would be the duplicate the FOV.
@verygreen did some experiments with this already, it was very telling. Going to be expensive and swamp service center even more.

• Love
Reactions: not-Martin
I'm unsure how expensive it'd be if they did decide they were gonna add this to new cars to retrofit old ones... if they can extend the current camera harness since it's a fairly low bandwidth application then the only real expense beyond labor is the new fender mounts-- which they'd already be mass producing for new cars anyway.

If they decided it's needed for FSD then the math is simply is it cheaper to do the retrofit, or refund what they paid for FSD? I'd expect the retrofit to be cheaper (again- if actually nedded)