Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla raise the price on existing Model Y reservations if federal rebates return next year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just something that crossed my mind as I was considering reserving a Model Y. Since Tesla has lowered the price on all their cars to account for the expiring tax rebates, what would happen if congress extends the rebates next year?

Is the current pricing locked in? Or could Tesla raise the price of the Model Y after you put down $2000 for a reservation?

Right now Model Y pricing is in line with current rebates. Tesla said there would be about a 10% price difference between a comparable Model 3 and Model Y. Now that Model Y pricing includes Autopilot, that price difference is sitting at about $4,010.

If The Federal Tax Credit is extended, then I would expect pricing to hold where it is. If it runs out as expected at the end of this year, you may see a small price reduction to all Tesla's, including Model Y pre-orders.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dan Detweiler
No, not because of rebates. But I dare say that they've got a right-sizing/pricing to go through. A number of the price points have changed in the Model 3 that aren't reflected in the Y.

Which ones? When the adjusted pricing recently they made autopilot standard, changed default color to white, and matched the color options with Model 3. The Model Y is now the about 4K more than equivalent Model 3 configurations across the board.

What's left to adjust?