Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NeverFollow

Aug 9, 2010
With the recent new Supercharger Fair Use Policy, excluding access to taxi, ridesharing, and owners rental programs...,
will Tesla start its own rental car service?

This would make perfect sense since Audi owns Silvercar, BMW owns ReachNow,
Ford owns Hertz, GM owns Maven, and Mercedes owns Car2Go.

Also if you own a Tesla, would you prefer renting a Tesla instead on an ICE when traveling in the US or Canada?

A possible extension for Tesla rental car would be to develop a network of self-driving cars or car sharing like Hyrecar.
Hertz Signs Deals With Uber, Lyft to Supply Cars to Drivers

Last edited:
Yes and no. Tesla will "finance" it's rental network through vehicle owners sharing their cars through Tesla Network.
Less capital intensive and spreads the risk to the individual owners.

If you rent your own Tesla, there is no alternative for using Superchargers (for new Tesla sold after 12/15/17).
You can only use your own home superchargers or other L2 subscriptions EV services.

Also if you own a Tesla, would you prefer renting a Tesla instead on an ICE when traveling in the US or Canada?

I tried using Turo while travelling to rent a Tesla, but I find it a little bit expensive and not very practical as you need to
make an appointent with the owner to get the car and again when returning the car, which is not a very flexible solution.

I used SilverCar and got a Brand new Audi 4S with Virtual Cockpit GPS navigation, Wifi...
for a similar price than a midsize car. There was a concierge available almost 24 hours,
which made pick up and return very simple and flexible.
I heard that the Audi Q5s will be soon available conjointly with the A4s.

I imagine that a rental car company providing Tesla Model 3 and the future Model Y and using the Silvercar approach
would become a very popular option when travelling for renting a Tesla at your destination.

We at GSD Rides rent Tesla in the New England area. We are based out of Boston. We find many Tesla owners when traveling prefer driving Tesla's. Many say they will not go back to ICE. They will seek out EV or Hybrid alternatives whenever possible. Also many of our renters are on the fence buyer who want to have a real world experience with a Tesla. Making sure they can make the lifestyle change to owning an EV.

We work with Tesla. They refer customers needing a longer experience than a standard test drive or help provide assistance to companies in need of our services. Just as we refer potential buyers to Tesla to help make their transition as simple as possible.

If you are ever in the New England area and need to rent a Tesla feel free to contact us. We are always glad to help.

www.gsdrides.com

Direct online booking
www.gsdridesrental.com

Reactions: EV Revolution
Tesla rentals are sorely needed, at least here in Australia. It's hard to go back to ICE when travelling. But the insurance climate here is so bad for any small rental car companies. You're looking at $15kAUD+ per years for insurance to rent a Tesla to customers...