Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla update my HW if I bought a private party FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As FSD continues to evolve, how does Tesla take care of people who bought private party FSD vehicles?

I am purchasing a 19 M3P with FSD and presume changes will be coming.

I assume for me OTA software updates I can freely download as they are pushed.
Then, I assume if a new HW comes out (say HW4), that I will solely pay a labor and item (or just labor?) Fee for install?

Last edited:
If you bought a used car with FSD, I'd imagine Tesla would treat you like anyone else with an FSD car.

I doubt Tesla would upgrade your car to HW4 if the current HW3 achieves "FSD" (which is probably a level 2 city-streets feature).

For a fee, Tesla might offer upgrade to HW4 computer in the future. But none of that is known at this point.

Upvote 0
As FSD continues to evolve, how does Tesla take care of people who bought private party FSD vehicles?
If your car FSD was paid either by you or previous owners, Tesla is obligated to fulfill the transaction.
...I assume for me OTA software updates I can freely download as they are pushed...
Yes.
Then, I assume if a new HW comes out (say HW4), that I will solely pay a labor and item (or just labor?) Fee for install?
The only mention of free hardware upgrade was really specific to HW3 from HW2.x. There has no mention of the same for a higher version than that.

My understanding is when I bought FSD, I did not buy a specific version of the hardware, I bought the feature. It's up to Tesla to fulfill the feature regardless of what kind of hardware requirement.

Upvote 0
If your car FSD was paid either by you or previous owners, Tesla is obligated to fulfill the transaction.

Yes.

The only mention of free hardware upgrade was really specific to HW3 from HW2.x. There has no mention of the same for a higher version than that.

My understanding is when I bought FSD, I did not buy a specific version of the hardware, I bought the feature. It's up to Tesla to fulfill the feature regardless of what kind of hardware requirement.
Just like people who bought early Teslas with Mobile Eye software, you bought the car with what it had and there will always be some limits to it. I don’t see Tesla obligated to upgrade hardware capability. Software as far as they can to support it but that would be it.

Upvote 0
...I don’t see Tesla obligated to upgrade hardware capability...

When I paid for a movie ticket for a specific movie title, I expect that title to be shown and I don't care how the owner would do it: by a certain brand of projector, certain sizes of film, or even digital and not traditional film... I just want to see that particular movie and not the other even if the hardware would be very expensive like I-Max...

When I paid fully for a ticket to go to Mars, I don't care how or which versions of the hardware, which rocket (Falcon Heavy or BFR or something else...) as long as I get to the destination.

Reactions: Microterf
Upvote 0