Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the AWD Model 3 Need Snow Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Toddsquad. The APA in Canada recommends the Pirellis. I have had only Bridgestone Blizzaks on my cars but I will be buying the Tesla’s package in the fall. If I don’t like them I’ll throw some Blizzaks on.

@Tzoid Was the recommendation specific to the model 3? I just went on the APA site ( Automobile Protection Association | 2017-2018 Winter Tire Reviews: Passenger Car, Minivan, & Compacy SUV Tires ) and for the 17-18 winter tire season (i guess the 18-19 will come out later) i see just two cars rated as A: Blizzak WS80 and Hakkapelitta R2. The pirelli (though it is not the model Telsa sells ) is under the B category along with michelin. Was that specific model listed elsewhere? Thanks[/QUOTE]

No, it was an older review not specific to a model 3

• Informative
Reactions: melius
Winter tires, no question.

the question should be studded or not.

It depends on how important it is to drive in bad weather, or if you can wait out a storm.

when i was working in NE, where i worked did not shut down for a for a blizzard or anything else. So I got the studded. If I didn't have to drive through those conditions, I would have gotten winter, non studded. and kept chains in the trunk. had rwd.

I saw plenty of 4wd suvs fly past me on those blizzard days, a few miles later they were in the ditch.

I used to get studs, but I think they are mostly obsolete now. The new snow tires are just as good on rough ice without studs. Studs are still best on black ice, but how often do you encounter back ice?

We're awaiting delivery on a Dual Motor Model 3. It will live in the Boston area, so, it will encounter snow and hills, but no mountains and few heavy snow falls like we have in the California mountains. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on the advisability or necessity of winter tires in that area.
With my AWD Subaru, snow tires help a lot. From ~10 snow storms a year, ~3 are really slippery. It seems snow tires save me 1-2 times a winter, but that's enough. Saving you from 1 fender bender or ditch slide is worth a lot.

In Alaska studded tire are still the most common winter tires and superior in our conditions. And if you encounter winter roads you should switch to winter tires. I’m highly partial to Nokian for winter tires and have hakkapeleta 4,5,7 on our various cars and now 9 on the model 3. We have ran Blizzakx and x-ice before, the studless are close to studded for a winter or two but quickly lose their performance. I know a few people who put a new set of Blizzaks on every winter (thanks Costco). I typically change my winter tires when they get to 50% tread life and get 5-7 winters out of a set.

My thought has always if they prevent one wreck it’s worth it.

Unless your area is constantly covered in snow, I don't think many people actually need winter tires. I have gone through winters with summer tires in both RWD and AWD cars (Mercedes C63 and C300) and there has never been any issues as long as the roads are not covered in snow. I'd say the performance of my summer tires (ContiSportContact 5 SSR) is probably better than typical all-season tires in dry/wet conditions even in 20-30 degree temperature.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snow Drift
I really dislike the 18" Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and find the traction too low on wet roads so I assume they will be worse in the snow. I have ordered another set of 18" aero wheels for $200 each from Tesla and set of TPMS sensors. I'm buying Sottozero3 tires and having the service center mount them. They said they would do it but I'd have to sign a waiver that they have nothing to do with the tires. I dislike the Sottozero2 tires Tesla offers any why buy the 19" that have the Sottozero3 tires.

The wet cornering and dry stopping are great and they do well in the snow. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=181&viewPage=y

I had Sottozero3 tires on my WRX and they were balanced in snow/dry/wet to my liking. I plan on replacing the MXM4 tires with Pilot Sport 4s tires and go back to a summer/winter setup.

I tried and tried to get Tesla to sell me 18” aero wheels and TPMS sensors to put Nokian’s on for winter. No luck, they said I would have to buy the winter tire set and I know I couldn sell the pirelli’s up here. So I bought Hakka 9’s locally and 18” wheels and TPMS sensors from tire rack. Ended up putting the Hakkas on the aero wheels and in the spring I’ll put the MXM4s on the ENKEI 18” for summer. Also I agree the Michelins are not a great preforming tire other than being quiet and having a low rolling resistance (we had them as OEM on our e class) but my wife drives like she is in a race so expect they’ll only last a couple summers.

I'm from Boston as well and it depends on your situation and how much you drive. In the city, they plow soon after so unless you're absolutely needing to be somewhere or are essential personal, you could probably get by without. If you plan on bringing it to ski or road trip north or live in areas that don't plow well, I would get them.

I'm personally going to wait a year and see with all seasons because I have another car that is my primary driver and currently don't drive far distances.

AWD Subaru does great here in WNY taking me up my steep driveway w 1 feet of snow. Only got stuck w a wet drift of two feet when it lifted the wheels off the ground. All season tires do great hopefully w the tesla awd also.

I guess this is why youtube is full of americans having their cars sliding down slopes during wintertime. :D

You NEVER see stuff like that here. Never.

It's not about going up driveways and such things. It's about stopping, reduce the risk of sudden skids etc...

Oh, and it's NOT about skill. No one is good enough to handle black ice on summer tires. Not even freaking Lewis Hamilton.

Forgot. 4wd is not that much better in slippery conditions. Yes, you accelerate faster. But is that always a good thing when there is a problem to get enough friction to stop in a timely fashion?

Last edited:
Reactions: coleAK
Just 2 days ago in Anchorage on my street it was almost that bad ^^^^ My wife was delayed 2 hours getting home as the main road up to the area we live in was closed. They had to tow at least 12 cars (that I counted) on my way up. It was a mix of Subaru’s, SUVs, pickups, FWD cars, a model X, and a huge Home Depot flat bed. Luckily for the kids and I we slalomed our way home before they closed the road. I used a tow strap to pull a buddy in his outback (all 4 wheels spinning) from in front of my driveway to the top of the hill. Up here many people wait until the first snow to put winter tires on and I have no idea why, yesterday tire shops were packed. And some people wear the “I’m too good for winter tires” badge. Really other than the initial expense it isn’t all that different. We have an e500 AWD. That is 14 years old it was my wife’s and now my son drives it. 14 years 150k miles we’ve put 3 sets of summer tires and 3 sets of winter tires on, however one set of the winters were Blizzak that only lasted 2 winters. I probably have one more summer an this and one more winter on the current tires.

I drive a Lexus LX570 which is NOT a great winter road vehicle (big, tall, heavy). As I mentioned before we do not use salt in Alaska due to the major negative environmental impact so slick roads are common.

And again everyone who said it is correct that tires are more important than any drivetrain. My son did a winter driving school last year (insuriance discount). On a closed course they drove a 1990’s RWD mustang with no traction control and studded Nokians back to back with a Subaru with mostly worn out all seasons. No one finished the course in the Subaru.