Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the disappointment even matter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So here in EV nerd world (I include myself in that description) folks are getting all worked up about what the Model 3 is or isn't (i.e. options too expensive, base range too low, no consol lid w/o premium package...pick your favorite). Beyond that there is the inevitable comparison to the Model S. Bolt, etc. However, I'm not sure any of that is going to matter...

15+ months ago Tesla previewed the Model 3 with enormous buzz and a boatload of reservations. In my opinion, Tesla crossed an important threshold: they went from selling "cars" to selling "cool". This is rarefied air occupied by the likes of Apple and Starbucks, etc. I remember years ago when my stepson went off to College (for an engineering degree) and I was trying to talk him into getting a Windows PC instead of a Macbook. I made all the logical arguments around price, engineering software generally being more available fro Windows vs. the Mac OS, etc. When I was done it came down to him saying "I hear all that, but...do you really want to be the only kid in class w/o a Mac"...Doh!

The average consumer out there isn't trolling car forums and nitpicking every nuance of the car. Instead, I think they will be stoked to be able to get a "Tesla" for $35K. Heck, the American way is (with all apologies to Dave Ramsey) to buy more than you can afford so if they have to stretch to $45K and 6 year notes they'll throw "sense" to the wind and do it. Car buying stopped being about "what makes sense" a LOOOOOONG time ago (it's got a HUGE emotion component now), and what we still know about the Model 3 is that it is sexy (not AS sexy as a Model S or some other cars sure, but sexier than most in this segment), and a Tesla. That alone will be enough for most buyers. Now add in the fact that EV torque is addictive and impresses almost everyone (I'm a "car guy" and I still remember my first test drive in 2013 of a P85...I was like "cr*P..this thing is fast"...even though the "numbers" weren't really that much different than my previous cars) well shoot - sexy, fast, and "it's a Tesla"....it's gonna be a winning combo regardless.

I can see at least 10 to 15% of people canceling their pre-orders because they were expecting lower prices.

Actually, I expect a lot bigger number than that for any number of reasons (timing, they never had the money in the first place, need something bigger, etc.) but I also expect that as these cars get out there, new prospective buys will fill the gap. My wife drives my P85+ way more than I do...so far it's the only car we've ever owned where her friends (who know ZERO about cars) say "take a picture of me with your Tesla!". We never got that with our old M5...

I read the various packages with interest just as everyone else has. I had pretty-much thought I would be interested in the base vehicle, except with longer milage. But $9,000 for the extended milage is a large 'hit.' I was hoping for something like $5k. My number does not come up for 15 months. I can live with 215 miles if they build more superchargers in the next 15 months. (I make a 425 mile trip 1/mo, but the first existing supercharger is 250 miles away).
My only disappointment is paint choices. Black is the only no-cost color?...... and in the hot desert west ..... no way would I consider black. I was guessing white (non-metallic) would also be no cost. It's not a deal breaker, but I am disappointed.

I read the various packages with interest just as everyone else has. I had pretty-much thought I would be interested in the base vehicle, except with longer milage. But $9,000 for the extended milage is a large 'hit.' I was hoping for something like $5k. My number does not come up for 15 months. I can live with 215 miles if they build more superchargers in the next 15 months. (I make a 425 mile trip 1/mo, but the first existing supercharger is 250 miles away).
My only disappointment is paint choices. Black is the only no-cost color?...... and in the hot desert west ..... no way would I consider black. I was guessing white (non-metallic) would also be no cost. It's not a deal breaker, but I am disappointed.
The paint deal is exactly the same as for the S and the X. Plain Black is free, any other color is extra.

I know *I* did expect lower cost options... Nothing seems to have changed. The various sites that spec'd out all the options at a lower price for the 3 are now in the trash because both the S and X have no 'options'. They have only the PUP, which is $5000 (S) or $6000 (X). And EAP and FSD. (And of course paint, seats, wheels, etc., of course. But no a la carte options as they did a few months ago or when the 3 was announced.)

Then the 3 comes along with exactly the same pricing on options (PUP is $5000, EAP and FSD are same as on S and X), when all along we heard 'we won't price them the same, that was for the S and X that subsidize the rest of the operation, the 3'. WTF...

At least the battery is a cheaper upgrade... the S is $25K+ for 25kWh. (Or something like that, I can't get to anything on tesla.com right now...)

All in all, adding that much ($9K for battery, $8K for software (EAP-FSD), $5K for PUP, $5K (?) for Dual, $1K for paint) is almost doubling the car price, and that's not even looking at the P that is always insane (no pun intended).

So, where's the proportionate or otherwise decrease in option price?