Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the UMC fit when the cover is closed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of any 14-50 cover that will close (so it can be locked) when the UMC is connected?

Not sure if this one has enough clearance:
Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 5.31.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 5.31.26 PM.png

That 14-50 plug and socket will not last very long if you plug and unplug every day. They are not designed for 10,000 cycles life like J1772 plugs for EVs.

I would look for a weathertight lock box that would hold the UMC and cable, and keep it plugged all the time.

GSP

I live in a Condo, so the other option would be to disconnect it every day. I'm mentally prepared for this, but if I can get away with a secure solution I'd be a happy camper.

I live in a townhouse community too and have the same box. I currently unplug my UMC each day and store it in my trunk. I only plan to be living here another year or two, so hopefully the box will last long enough.

I've been thinking about how best to rig up some sort of locking solution. I may try to jury-rig something with a cable lock. If I come up with something, I'll let you know.

Last edited:
I live in a townhouse community too and have the same box. I currently unplug my UMC each day and store it in my trunk. I only plan to be living here another year or two, so hopefully the box will last long enough.

I've been thinking about how best to rig up some sort of locking solution. I may try to jury-rig something with a Kensington cable lock for a laptop. If I come up with something, I'll let you know.

In another thread, someone made a cage that is about 2-3 feet long so it can cover the plug and UMC when it is wound up. It has a hole int he bottom for the cable to drop down through. Someone quote me $400 to make this.

Screen Shot 2013-03-05 at 10.09.57 AM.png

I think a better use of the money would be to put it towards the HWPC. I only have a single charger but it would be covered by my insurance if anything were to happen.

Seems like overkill and I'm pretty sure my HOA wouldn't be wild about a huge cage covering the outlet. Not sure how yours is on those sorts of visual aspects. There must be a way to fit some sort of lockable ring over the UMC cable and then thread a cable lock through it. I just need to find the right kind of ring.

I live in a condo too and just have the outlet on the wall with no issues since 11/2012. Since the cable can not be removed from the car without the fob, I’m not worried about it!

Here's my MacGyver'd solution. Seems like it will solve the problem.

Parts Needed:
1/2" Pipe Repair Clamp
Small Piece of Foam Drawer Liner
Tape
Small Padlock
Cable Lock

Tape the drawer liner around the UMC cable between the plug and box thingy (technical term). This acts as padding. Lay the cable part of the cable lock next to the UMC cable. Attach the repair clamp around both the UMC cable and cable lock using one of the provided bolts. Place the padlock through the other end of the clamp where the other bolt was supposed to go. Don't tighten the bolt too much. You don't want to damage the UMC cable and it's also helpful if the whole thing can slide around a bit. The padlock is the thing keeping the clamp from being opened anyway.

I locked the cable lock around the conduit leading to my outlet box. The clamp can't be removed, even if the bolt is removed. It doesn't fit over the plug if the padlock is in place.

Here are some pictures:

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG