Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise near driver’s side headliner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have this problem? It’s the same area where there was extra black sealant visible on the roof glass at delivery. Happens above 45 mph. Not too bad but when the rest of the car is real quiet it’s noticeable.
I have the exact same issue on my white on white MY LR AWD with Geminis. Early August build date, 35xxx VIN, less than 1,000 miles.

Made a service appointment the other day. They kept the car for a few hours, messed with the window and the mirror, and ultimately determined it was the exterior mirror applique making the noise. They didn't have the part on hand, so they gave me my car back and told me they'd order the part and install it at my house next week. All under warranty.

Here's the part info they emailed me:

Parts Ordered
A-PLR APPLIQUE, EXT.MIRROR LH MY
Part #: 1495632-00-A

Hope this helps you.

I have the exact same issue on my white on white MY LR AWD with Geminis. Early August build date, 35xxx VIN, less than 1,000 miles.

Made a service appointment the other day. They kept the car for a few hours, messed with the window and the mirror, and ultimately determined it was the exterior mirror applique making the noise. They didn't have the part on hand, so they gave me my car back and told me they'd order the part and install it at my house next week. All under warranty.

Here's the part info they emailed me:

Parts Ordered
A-PLR APPLIQUE, EXT.MIRROR LH MY
Part #: 1495632-00-A

Hope this helps you.
Thanks. Not sure visually what that part is. I’m guessing even though the mirror is lower than where my noise is; the aerodynamics can cause the noise to sound further up?

Thanks. Not sure visually what that part is. I’m guessing even though the mirror is lower than where my noise is; the aerodynamics can cause the noise to sound further up?

Yeah. It's this part right here:
15999431595946762371462490191353.jpg

Near the top of the triangle it is slightly separated from the car, which makes a path through which wind whistles at 40+ mph.

My passenger side one isn't separated like that and has no noise.

Just picked up mine on Sunday 9/6. Went to service Wednesday..They spent Wednesday Thursday and part of friday figuring it out but they got rid of whistle noise.

Haven't gotten the final invoice with what the cause was yet.

I took mine into the service center today and after removing the roof rack, a tech drove around with me for 30-45 minutes (at least) at highway speeds with each of us rotating positions. What I thought was a localized problem to the driver's side (no whistle, just more the sound of wind blowing) seemed to come from other places besides the driver's side headliner and my mind started messing with me. It was hard to be objective about it. When we got back, he did the ultrasonic test they typically do for leaks and couldn't find anything. He did say they've had a lot of complaints about the model Y roof rack and wind noise. I had thought my wind noise was present to a smaller extent pre-rack and the rack just exacerbated it but it was hard to come to that conclusion based on today's test. He also took a look at the expected height differences between the windshield, rear tailgate/glass, and roof glass and they looked OK.

I was happy with his effort though and it seemed logical. The ultrasonic test would normally find leaks, which was the bigger deal to me, and there were none, so I think I can learn to live with it.

Yes - I feel like there’s a high level of wind noise in my MY.. but it’s one of those things that is hard to quantify.
I think my only recourse is to make friends with other MY owners and do a comparison to determine what’s “normal” and if there’s an actual issue..

I'm chasing down a whistling noise that starts about 50mph on my LR MY with 44xxx VIN and 3500 miles. Like the OP, it sounds like it is coming from right above my ear on the drivers side. This weekend I'll have a look at the mirror area and see how my gasketing looks.