Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some help folks. I just picked up my new model 3 today. It was a contactless handover which is understandable under the circumstances however, when I’m driving I am getting a really loud wind noise (like a vent) on the near side of the vehicle (rhd UK car) which increases with speed. Now I can’t get a hold of anyone but was hoping someone here may know what I’m on about. Bear with me as I’ve only had the car 6 hours!! Thanks

Hi,

Welcome to this forum. I had something similar, and with my car it turned out that the side windows did not close well.

It seemed to be two things:
  1. The window angle was such that in the upper portion it was not really pushing well against the rubber (this I had noticed myself and was the reason for the SeC call)
  2. Upon getting it back from the SeC it seems the windows now also go higher, and end up in a ridge just under the roof line (this I had not seen before, so not 100% sure if this has been changed)
In any case, after the SeC the car is much quieter now.

Be aware that many other sources of windnoise are discussed (also here on the forum), and many fixes, but this can be an easy to check yourself, and it seems that in manufacturing the window adjustment is often not done optimally.

For the rest, enjoy the car, I still get a happy twitch when I see my M3, even after 8 mths driving it.

Huub

Congrats on the car! There are threads here all about wind noise - just have to search. There are people here that have tackled window adjustments, inserting weatherstripping around door openings, foam, trunk liners (some w/ sound insulation), wheel liners, etc... lots of info here.

I had a wind noise issue at the A-pillars and had luck installing small rubber tubing in the fender/A-pillar gap. This is what I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NHL17BC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you have a pic on how/where you inserted? Does this go on all the 4 doors?

Thanks!!

Congrats on the car! There are threads here all about wind noise - just have to search. There are people here that have tackled window adjustments, inserting weatherstripping around door openings, foam, trunk liners (some w/ sound insulation), wheel liners, etc... lots of info here.

I had a wind noise issue at the A-pillars and had luck installing small rubber tubing in the fender/A-pillar gap. This is what I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NHL17BC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the input folks. My issue is that the car is not even a day old so I don’t really think that having pad over £60k for the car I should be trying to fix things myself! I was more concerned that I may have been missing something simple but it would appear not. The car is great but tbh I’m far from impressed with the quality. I’ve NEVER had a car that drives as noisy as this. It is really unpleasant. Many thanks for the assistance

Reactions: Piblokto
I did a search around cuz I want to try this myself, but haven't found a consistent answer.

Tesla themselves say just open and close it from the driver's controls:
Do It Yourself - Model 3

This guy says basically the same but continue holding it for 15 seconds after it stops moving:

And this post here, for the Model X, suggests decalibrating it first (activate the safety auto-stop a few times) and then calibrate:
Driver Window Glass Calibration

I have not yet tried any of these but I'm gonna later -
Based on all that I found, I think I'm going to combine the methodologies - try the decalibrate, and then I'll hold for 15 seconds just to be sure.

Unless anyone has a better idea ;-}

Thanks for the input folks. My issue is that the car is not even a day old so I don’t really think that having pad over £60k for the car I should be trying to fix things myself!

I think the best approach would be to book a service appointment using the Tesla app on your mobile. I’ve heard in the UK that’s generally more effective than trying to get hold of anyone on the phone or by email.

-Alex

Last edited:
I had what is probably similar on the driver window, but much much milder, so I'd put up with it. Last week when I had the car in to upgrade the computer, I mentioned it in my service order. They fixed it, very well, it's marvelous. Now that I know how good it can be, I have to have them do it on the passenger side.

I don't know what exactly they did, but what they said is that if you can slip a banknote in the window, it needs adjustment. Apparently in transit the mechanism can settle. It should be a quick fix. If the window closing reset doesn't do it, just set up an appt.

Last edited: