Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a inventory Model S and from day 1, it had wind noise from the driver side window. The service center had the car for 3 days and returned the car without resolving the issue. I took it back the 2nd time and now they are replacing the windshield. I reminded them the windshield has a tint which was just done last week. The service center is saying that they will not reimburse for the tint. Is that the normal procedure?

You are just giving the police an opportunity to stop you.

Permissible Windshield Window Tint in Florida​

Window tint is expressed in terms of a percentage. The percentage refers to the amount of light that the tint allows to pass through the window. The higher the percentage, the more light that will come through your window and the less dark the window will be. Conversely, the lower the percentage, the darker the window tint will be.

For windshields of vehicles, Florida permits drivers to place non-reflective tint above the manufacturer’s AS-1 line. The AS-1 line is located approximately four inches below the top of the windshield, and the line runs parallel with the top edge of the windshield.

Tint is not permitted anywhere else on the windshield, no matter the percentage.

• Disagree
Reactions: kazamm
I had a clear ceramic tint placed on both our 2013 Model S and 2013 Fiat 500e. It did wonders in heat rejection/retardant in the Fiat but not so much in the Tesla. I believe our windshield was good from the start. Unfortunately the Fiat's windshield had a crack from an unopened pinecone from the neighbor's tree (say the squirrel do it too), they it got another crack from an errant golfball. Replaced the windshield but really miss the tint in the summer time.

I would not recommend tinting the Tesla windshield for heat rejection. That was a waste of $300 for me.

I picked up a inventory Model S and from day 1, it had wind noise from the driver side window. The service center had the car for 3 days and returned the car without resolving the issue. I took it back the 2nd time and now they are replacing the windshield. I reminded them the windshield has a tint which was just done last week. The service center is saying that they will not reimburse for the tint. Is that the normal procedure?

Had rear hatch glass replaced under warranty and I had to pay to retint. Seems standard on any make I have had.

Window tint is expressed in terms of a percentage. The percentage refers to the amount of light that the tint allows to pass through the window. The higher the percentage, the more light that will come through your window and the less dark the window will be. Conversely, the lower the percentage, the darker the window tint will be.

For windshields of vehicles, Florida permits drivers to place non-reflective tint above the manufacturer’s AS-1 line. The AS-1 line is located approximately four inches below the top of the windshield, and the line runs parallel with the top edge of the windshield.

Tint is not permitted anywhere else on the windshield, no matter the percentage.
@kazaam, did you dislike my post because you don't like Florida's law, or because you like to be stopped by the police.

Reactions: shthpnz
I've had my windshield tinted in each of my last three cars since 2003 and never once caused an issue with law enforcement or car inspections. Same with my wife's cars. We live in a very similar climate as FL. It is just 70% and most people that get in my car can't even tell it is tinted. On my Model 3 I have tint on every piece of glass. It does make a difference to me even though the tint is not very dark. It makes the car more comfortable to be in and reduces the direct light and glare from the Sun and other cars. Very bright glare from cars can sometimes trigger migraines, the tint helps just a little at knocking this down. Yes I still get heat through the glass, especially from the sunroof. If I had the option to cancel the sunroof I'd certainly do it. I get no value from that massive glass. It not only keeps the car hot, but it contributes to the ambient noise in the car. I'll get windshield tint on my next car as well.

But if you need to get the windshield replaced you'll need to replace the tint on your own dime. The tint shop may give you a discount if this happens.

Windshiled tint is a must for me. It makes huge difference in South Florida.
Back in 2016, Tesla had damaged the rear bumper of my model s. They got the bumper replaced and also paid the ppf installation on the bumper. I guess if it is their fault, they pay for all the after market stuff as well.
No big deal. I got my car back yesterday and wind noise is resolved and I am super happy. I will get the tint done again.

I've had my windshield tinted in each of my last three cars since 2003 and never once caused an issue with law enforcement or car inspections.
It is legal to tint the windshield in Texas. If the tint is noticeable or even questionable in a state with a no-tint-windshield law, and a cop wants to pull you over, this gives them a reason. I wouldn't want to give a cop any added reason to pull me over. Some folks don't mind being pulled over just to check on things.

It is legal to tint the windshield in Texas. If the tint is noticeable or even questionable in a state with a no-tint-windshield law, and a cop wants to pull you over, this gives them a reason. I wouldn't want to give a cop any added reason to pull me over. Some folks don't mind being pulled over just to check on things.
Thanks for your concern of my well-being. Technically the only tint that is legal on a windshield in TX is above the AS-1 line. My tint is on the entire windshield but it is 70% (I think). That coincides with the ASME minimum light transmittance of a windshield from the manufacturer. So if you actually measured the light transmission of the windshield it might be pretty close to 70%. You can get a 'clear' tint on your windshield, but what is the definition of 'clear?' 70% light transmission? Not sure. Anyway, like I said I've been driving cars with tinted windshields for a decade and never been stopped or asked about it. Probably because you really can't see it. Over the years when I've posted about a tinted windshield on my cars I normally get one or two people that really want to point out the risk of having tint on the windshield. But after a decade and many many thousands of miles of driving, I'm not really worried. Now some people do take it a bit to the extreme and put a dark tint on the windshield. I don't recommend this.

Here is a picture of my previous car.... can you see the level of tint on the windshield? If I didn't tell you it was tinted would you have spotted it?

IMG_5811.jpg

And I found this one of my model 3... again it is hardly noticeable. Not a single person who has sat in my car has noticed. I'm not worried about the police noticing.

IMG_6891.JPG

The sun blazing on a Tesla is a greenhouse on wheels.

The reason factory cars are tint free on the front door windows and windshield is statistical evidence of visibility issues (especially when the sun isn't blazing) that the insurance companies watch constantly. So tint can lead to liability issues.

@Rocket_man , it is hardly noticeable. Does anyone apply tint to the glass roof or have the "shades" for the roof, the largest issue with the heat incursion?
In our 5 years of ownership, the only time the sunroof heat was an issue was during a summer day while Supercharging in Barstow, Ca at high-noon, in the high desert. Outside temp was 115F and we were south-facing while parked. The AC was going on full blast but you could still feel the heat on your head. I went grabbed the mesh screen inserts from the backseat and installed them onto the underside of the sunroof and found that it helped. I don't think it rejects the heat, but it creates a barrier between the mesh and glass, slowing the radiation of heat downward towards your head. I think there's already a factory tint on our pano/sunroof and isn't an issue for us unless the sun is intense without cloud cover on a summer day in the desert.

Reactions: DerbyDave
@Rocket_man , it is hardly noticeable. Does anyone apply tint to the glass roof or have the "shades" for the roof, the largest issue with the heat incursion?
i got tint on everything but the windshield and its a huge difference over stock
In our 5 years of ownership, the only time the sunroof heat was an issue was during a summer day while Supercharging in Barstow, Ca at high-noon, in the high desert. Outside temp was 115F and we were south-facing while parked. The AC was going on full blast but you could still feel the heat on your head. I went grabbed the mesh screen inserts from the backseat and installed them onto the underside of the sunroof and found that it helped. I don't think it rejects the heat, but it creates a barrier between the mesh and glass, slowing the radiation of heat downward towards your head. I think there's already a factory tint on our pano/sunroof and isn't an issue for us unless the sun is intense without cloud cover on a summer day in the desert.
barstow gets a little warm but out here further into the Mojave desert where i live it gets 125f multiple times in the summer, the tint is very helpful and i also crack all 5 windows about an inch so when the AC kicks on it pushed the hot air out and cools it a smidge faster.

for the OP your tint isn't their problem, it falls into the category of sucks to suck lol
Also wind noise usually comes from the small glass side window being out of alignment. its an easy fix

The sun blazing on a Tesla is a greenhouse on wheels.

The reason factory cars are tint free on the front door windows and windshield is statistical evidence of visibility issues (especially when the sun isn't blazing) that the insurance companies watch constantly. So tint can lead to liability issues.
I'm not sure exactly why manufactures don't 'tint' new car windows on a more regular basis. It probably has a lot to do with state tint laws and cost savings. State tint laws vary from CA to AZ/TX/FL and for various reasons. Car manufacturers seem to build to the lowest common set of rules and that always seems to be CA in the US. But while CA doesn't allow any tint on front windows, other states in much sunnier and hotter climates do and if there was a large insurance component to that I suspect my insurance company would have asked about my tint when they set my premiums. Also, manufacturers 'tint' is more of a coloring and I'd rather not have it on my cars. But you can't avoid it sometimes.
I looked up the details on my tint. All tint is XPel Prime XR Plus. This is their nano-ceramic tint which gives greater heat rejection in a lighter shade. On the windshield is 70%. On the side windows is 45%. On the sunroof and rear window is 55%. I went lighter than most and I picked this tint because it had a lot of shades to choose from. But not all tint shops carry all shades.

In Texas and I assume AZ, FL and other hot climates in the south, the heat on your head in the summer from the sunroof is pretty high. I could not hold my hand to the underside of the sunroof, too hot to touch. That glass surface radiates heat to your head and in the Model 3 your head is closer to the glass than the Model Y and probably the Model S. But I didn't want to go darker than 55% since the tint can actually increase the heat in the glass and the risk (though unsubstantiated) is that too dark of a tint might crack the glass. Once the tint was done I could feel a big reduction in heat radiating from the glass and I can touch the glass. It is still hot in the summer and I can still feel it on my head but much better. I can still see through the roof but from the front seats you really need to crank your head back if you want to look through the roof. As I said, to me the sunroof is more of a liability than a benefit and I'd rather not have it, but there is no option. On my wife's car (not a Tesla of course), we ordered hers without a sunroof and not only did it save her money, but it has more headroom and cooler in the summer.

On my wife's car (not a Tesla of course), we ordered hers without a sunroof and not only did it save her money, but it has more headroom and cooler in the summer.
fun fact the tesla has more headroom with the sunroof. I rode in the back of a friends tesla that had the metal roof and i had to sit hunched over or tilt my neck entirely sideways to fit. But i sat in the same seat of my car that has the moonroof and i could sit up straight and comfortably.

And yeah its odd CA doesn't like tint since its a thousand degrees here in the summer as i mentioned a previous comment its common for 125F or more for several days during the summer

For windshields of vehicles, Florida permits drivers to place non-reflective tint above the manufacturer’s AS-1 line. The AS-1 line is located approximately four inches below the top of the windshield, and the line runs parallel with the top edge of the windshield..

The is incorrect. There are some instances where you are permitted to tint the full windshield for medical reasons

some emergency vehicles are not exempt to speed limit laws. Fire Trucks are limited to 65 to 68 mph per state law. All emergency vehicles must drive with due regard.
Putting tint on the windshield in Florida is still against Florida law. The most important part of my original post was that I (and maybe it is just me) do not want to give law enforcement any additional opportunities to pull my car over, for any reason. If you have a noticeable tint, or if the officer feels threatened because he (she) cannot see inside of the vehicle they are approaching on foot after stopping you, you put yourself and the officer in increased danger. That danger is not good.

At an intersection when another approaching or stopped car with dark tint where I cannot see the driver to verify that the driver sees me approaching, it also increases the danger, for both of us.

Reactions: vcor