Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Pops Up When Opening Door...Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is to keep the window from flopping around inside the door when you close it. The seal on the door holds the top of the window because of it's shape.
That doesn't make sense because no other vehicle, at least that I know of, needs to do this to keep the glass secure when closing the door. Some may rattle a bit, like with the above post about the Model 3 but it really has never been a huge issue in the automotive world. But I could be wrong, yet I want to believe it's a Cybertruck Easter egg. lol

That doesn't make sense because no other vehicle, at least that I know of, needs to do this to keep the glass secure when closing the door. Some may rattle a bit, like with the above post about the Model 3 but it really has never been a huge issue in the automotive world. But I could be wrong, yet I want to believe it's a Cybertruck Easter egg. lol

Audi has been doing this for years. It would be nice if they added the feature to the model 3 with a software update because my car door sounds pretty bad when I close it with the window all the way down.

Go to 6:38 of this video.

Go to 1:16 on this video.

Last edited:
Audi has been doing this for years. It would be nice if they added the feature to the model 3 with a software update because my car door sounds pretty bad when I close it with the window all the way down.
Interesting, thanks for the info. Since they did it with the Cybertruck then you'd think they would have done it to rest of there vehicles by now, especially if it's an issue and it's easy enough to do over the air.

Last edited:
Nice catch -- I think you're right it's an easter egg.

But what's with the first bunch of cars where the driver had to reach over to either unlock the pax door and/or trigger the easter egg? You'd think they'd have that all sorted out ahead of time.
The cars were probably new to the driver's as well. My guess is that they didn't put the vehicle in park so they would either have to punch the screen a couple of times to unlock the door or they could just reach over and push the button to open it. I have this issue when doing school drop off and pick up in my MXP. For drop off it's easy as the passenger can open the door even when the car is in Drive by pushing the open button twice. But for pick up I can't open the door while the car is in Drive and the doors are locked from the outside. I have to put it in Park to be able to open the door. Slows me down a bit as there is a decent delay between putting in Park and the "buttons" going live on the screen.

The cars were probably new to the driver's as well. My guess is that they didn't put the vehicle in park so they would either have to punch the screen a couple of times to unlock the door or they could just reach over and push the button to open it. I have this issue when doing school drop off and pick up in my MXP. For drop off it's easy as the passenger can open the door even when the car is in Drive by pushing the open button twice. But for pick up I can't open the door while the car is in Drive and the doors are locked from the outside. I have to put it in Park to be able to open the door. Slows me down a bit as there is a decent delay between putting in Park and the "buttons" going live on the screen.

Thanks.. makes a lot of sense.... but I wonder why they didn't figure this out ahead of time in (if?) they had rehearsals. It just looked really really jank to see several of the drivers have to reach over to open the doors.

Thanks.. makes a lot of sense.... but I wonder why they didn't figure this out ahead of time in (if?) they had rehearsals. It just looked really really jank to see several of the drivers have to reach over to open the doors.
I get the safety-nanny reasons that a vehicle needs to be in park to open the doors from the outside, I guess. Especially for a push button door which in theory a tree branch could press, unless the button press is somehow validated as a finger. IDK.

I suppose they just didn't practice before the Event, to realize that the drivers needed to put the truck in park, or they forgot what they were told. So also, does the drivers leaning over to open the doors from the inside mean that the truck actually wasn't in park? Seems less safe to have a driver not engaging the brake while leaning out of position, perhaps at least it wasn't on creep mode.

• Informative
Reactions: HankLloydRight
I get the safety-nanny reasons that a vehicle needs to be in park to open the doors from the outside, I guess. Especially for a push button door which in theory a tree branch could press, unless the button press is somehow validated as a finger. IDK.

I suppose they just didn't practice before the Event, to realize that the drivers needed to put the truck in park, or they forgot what they were told. So also, does the drivers leaning over to open the doors from the inside mean that the truck actually wasn't in park? Seems less safe to have a driver not engaging the brake while leaning out of position, perhaps at least it wasn't on creep mode.
Creep mode has been gone for a while. As long as they didn't stab the accelerator with their foot as they were leaning over they'd be fine. As for practicing, did you watch the event? I don't think they rehearsed anything ;)

Reactions: Dan D.