Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tint Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they usually pre dry the lower portion of the windows with heat gun, so you can still open! Close the doors.
Just don’t roll down the windows for 1-2 days depending on temperature/area
This and they will tell you to minimize opening/closing the door as well. I have had two MY done and haven't had any issues.

3M crystalline is a good product. I went with XPEL on my current MY and also had full frontal PPF. I also had them PPF the lower portion of the doors as well.

What film you guys use? amazon link would be helpful.

I am in VA, if that matters on what max tint I can get.

It would be DIY
Tint requires experience so it’s not really something DIY able without it looking terrible.

And the good quality tint is not something you can find on Amazon. They are sold only from the manufacturer direct to certified tint shops.

I'm in NoVA and tint shops around here can fk'off. You can find good tint on ebay where I got 2 rolls of LLUMAR F1 Pinnacle nano ceramic for $40 each. I had a guy from Craigslist do it for $75 per window. Took him 2 hours and was flawless. 5% front and 50% rear

His day job? Installing the same brand tint at a tint shop that charged $400-$500 per window. He confirmed the quality of the tint as well. Also, if you're worried about getting ripped off by a hack, go to a tint shop and get a quote... then pull one of the guys working on another car to the side and ask if any of them do side hustle installs. That way you know the guy has experience.

I always get a local guy to do it on the side (5 cars in 12 years), and have never had an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: X-pilot
I’ve used Xpel tint on most my cars with no issues. I would not recommend 3M crystalline because it has a brown hue that will look off compared to the factory privacy glass. I install Xpel 20% on the front sides and they match the color of the rear privacy glass perfectly. Can’t speak about other brands but STEK seems to be a good option too

Reactions: DblOSmith