Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model S last week and we have been very impressed and very satisfied with it. Our (young) kids however complained about the sunlight, and it made me realise that we did not have tinting in the rear section of the car. I also realised that this is not a electable option in the order process. How come? Has anybody here had their model S windows tinted recently and any particular do's don'ts to be aware of with 3rd party 'creativity'?

Thanks
Robert

yeah, that thread's got a lot of good info buried in it. enjoy :) (and you're right, most people that drive their kids in the back needed to get the rear window tinted to dim the sunlight and also make it cooler back there for them since the venting back there is pretty much non-existent.) and besides, during teh summer month's (especailly for you down in TX), it's going to keep the car cooler so you dont have to have the A/C up as high, thus extending your range.

Regardless of which brand you use, you should check for any legal restrictions/laws on how much light transmission reduction is allowable. I believe 35% light transmission (i.e.- 65% light reduction) is the maximum in most states and some states will say absolutely no for the windshield. Some brands are more efficient for heat than others, light transmission being equal.

I picked up my Model S last week and we have been very impressed and very satisfied with it. Our (young) kids however complained about the sunlight, and it made me realise that we did not have tinting in the rear section of the car. I also realised that this is not a electable option in the order process. How come? Has anybody here had their model S windows tinted recently and any particular do's don'ts to be aware of with 3rd party 'creativity'?

Thanks
Robert

I picked up my p85+ on monday and drove it directly to the tint shop/paint protection place. My son loves the back seat as long as i am not canyon carving :). Tint is complicated. Definately check local laws and speak about tint with your shop. Id advise against the cheaper tnt chains. Find someone recommended in your area. 35% is law in most states for side windows and rear. Glass starts at about 90% and if you put a 40% tint on that you get to about 36%. I went with the higher end 3M tint that reduces heat considerably.

Google 3M crystalline.

Good luck and congrats.

3M crystalline, while a good film, actually looks purple on a Model S's rear window due to a reaction the film has with the protectent coating Tesla uses, so I do not recommend 3M Crystalline to anyone anymore. I actually had 3M Crystalline all around, but due to the purple effects (which looks absolutely wretched on a black car), I had it taken off and replaced with Madico Charcool 20% and it looks great. Many pictures of this I posted on that other thread.

3M crystalline, while a good film, actually looks purple on a Model S's rear window due to a reaction the film has with the protectent coating Tesla uses, so I do not recommend 3M Crystalline to anyone anymore. I actually had 3M Crystalline all around, but due to the purple effects (which looks absolutely wretched on a black car), I had it taken off and replaced with Madico Charcool 20% and it looks great. Many pictures of this I posted on that other thread.

On my M3, my Crystalline looked like cheap bronze. Guess purple is worse