Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window won't stay down after opening door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is a new one I haven't seen happen yet. My front passenger door window won't stay down while the door is open anymore. You press the open button and it rolls down slightly and opens but immediately rolls all the way back up.

When my friend tried to close the door the window hit the trim and messed up my chrome delete and scratched the trim underneath. Now I have to manually roll the window down slightly and then roll it back up after it's closed. I scheduled an appointment already and was wondering if anyone had a similar issue.

Already tried soft and hard resets. Seems like a sensor in the door is broken.

So this is a new one I haven't seen happen yet. My front passenger door window won't stay down while the door is open anymore. You press the open button and it rolls down slightly and opens but immediately rolls all the way back up.

When my friend tried to close the door the window hit the trim and messed up my chrome delete and scratched the trim underneath. Now I have to manually roll the window down slightly and then roll it back up after it's closed. I scheduled an appointment already and was wondering if anyone had a similar issue.

Already tried soft and hard resets. Seems like a sensor in the door is broken.

I fixed it. The puddle light got disconnected causing the issue. I reconnected the puddle light and it's back to normal.

Thanks to PooshdM3 for the tip!

I fixed it. The puddle light got disconnected causing the issue. I reconnected the puddle light and it's back to normal.

Thanks to PooshdM3 for the tip!
Do you have aftermarket puddle lights or was it the stock ones? Seems odd that would cause the window to misbehave, but maybe something shorted or the wiring is connected to more than one component in the door.

I experienced the same behavior when I was replacing my puddle lights. I don’t understand why the window will roll up when the light is disconnected but it does. If this is by design then I don’t really understand the purpose.

Do you have aftermarket puddle lights or was it the stock ones? Seems odd that would cause the window to misbehave, but maybe something shorted or the wiring is connected to more than one component in the door.

They're aftermarket. The front passenger puddle light cable is very short so it was a tight fit. It must have pulled out of the connector from the door being closed over and over.

I don't think it was a short because the connector was unplugged. It may have just been loose and got unplugged when I pulled the light out.

I experienced the same behavior when I was replacing my puddle lights. I don’t understand why the window will roll up when the light is disconnected but it does. If this is by design then I don’t really understand the purpose.

Purely hypothetical:
The window/ door control module is using the ajar signal from the body side switch (or door latch switch) that drives the puddle lamp to determine whether the door is open or closed. Without the lamp connected, the signal has no load on it and the signal floats to the door closed state (or current sense shows zero), so the module always raises the window again.

• Informative
Reactions: favo and PoitNarf
Well that's a dumb design decision. The same thing will happen if years down the road the light fails. I know, probably an LED and not likely to fail; but KISS - use the door latch.
Curious: did the car indicate the open door was closed with the light disconnected?

Well that's a dumb design decision. The same thing will happen if years down the road the light fails. I know, probably an LED and not likely to fail; but KISS - use the door latch.
Curious: did the car indicate the open door was closed with the light disconnected?

Again, hypothetical.
And the module would likely have a load resistor such that it biases the signal as long as it is connected. Failure mode wise, the solder joints on the PCB would probably go first...
Could also be a smart FET with open circuit detection reporting a fault that is not being handled well...