Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replaced but more road noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed distortion in windshield enough to give me a headache after 10 mins drive. I noticed right after I took delivery. They said to schedule an appointment. Earliest was 2 weeks after delivery. Got it back today. They replaced it. It looks fine. But my issues is I hear more road noice and other vehicles passing by then I did before.
anyone has this issue?

Could be an issue with the seal or the adhesive curing. I would bring it up to Tesla right away and do some research on your own by taping off the entire windshield and see if you can locate source of any leaks.

Likewise see if you can pour water around the seals and look for any Ingress.

On one of my old cars I didn't have any wind noise but when parked, especially on an incline I got water inside.

It took over a year to notice as it rarely rains here, the car is a garage queen, and I drive little compared to the rest of you, especially during 2020.

I feel like there’s more wind noise then there should be.. but it’s a subjective thing and it’s difficult to know what’s normal..

I’ll need to make a friend with a local Y and try to compare..

On a related note - anyone had any luck with a wind noise reduction kit?

Results of wind reduction kit will depend on the type and location of the kit as well as how out of alignment a particular car is.

As documented in the Model 3 video I linked to above you can seal off the entire car including bits that don’t have gaskets available and the reduction likely will be minimal if at all. Different tires / rims and soundproofing in the doors / under carpet / firewall / trunk / frunk makes a MUCH bigger different. But that’s a lot more expensive and way more complicated for the DIY’er.

For $20-100 add the roof and door seals if you want. Just don’t expect a huge difference compared to changing tires or soundproofing.